has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Bean27, 11th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

In the process of buying a property and it has been 83 days since the offer was accepted and still no settlement. Settlement was booked for 26th of Feb and the hold up has waiting for the discharge paperwork for the sellers mortgage to get processed. My Conveyancer seems to think there's nothing he can do but keep calling the opposing sides lawyer. This seems a very bizarre situation to me but i'm a newbie. Is this normal?

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

This isn't normal but it does happen sometimes unfortunately not much you can do from your side to speed things up.
    If you're using a broker for your purchase they might be able to contact the outgoing lender via their BDM to expedite the discharge, it's a long shot though, lender needs to be one they're accredited with.

Bean27 likes this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It happens - but two weeks is stretching it.

Is it an owner occ? If so - can you ask for access to the property before settlement?

If it's an IP - I wouldn't worry too much about the extended period of no interest being paid :)

Cheers

Jamie

4. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

It is an investment, i'm still paying repayments on the equity loan though. I think the thing that annoys me is it had to be rented before settlement and the tenant moved in on Jan 25th. So they have got 5 weeks rent. It makes me think they are delaying it on purpose

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The conveyancer needs to wait 2 weeks post the original settlement date before a notice to complete can be issued. 26/02 - 11/03 is not 2 weeks (yet).

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Your solicitor and theirs will adjust any rents paid to the vendor or their agent in advance at the date of settlement so its paid to you. You only own the right to rental income from the settlement date. Your solictor should also ensure the agent transfers the landlord rental account to you on the settlement date too. eg If rent is paid the next day its yours, not theirs.

Does you contract contain a delayed settlement penalty provision? ie they pay you (reduces the price paid) I have seen cases where "interest" may apply for every day that is settled late. Usually from the notice period expiry.