Has This Ever Happened Before?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by adrian_christian, 18th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I wanted to share an unusual, one part unnerving, one part funny episode that happened to my family yesterday as tenants (not as a landlord this time).

Preface: I am not based in Australia at the moment, but I wanted to share this anyways.

My wife was coming back from picking up the kids from school, only to find a real estate agent showing prospects through our house. (We live on a small island in the Indian Ocean where doors are still left open, housekeepers see people come and go all the time if you're wondering about the security aspect)

The punchline, as we soon found out, was that the property was neither for sale or for lease and that the REA was showing her clients the wrong property!

Has anyone heard of an REA showing the wrong property to their clients? Is this a first? The REA was so sure they had the right place we rang the landlord and the local place as she proceeded to show every inch of our house to these confused prospects....

Naturally, neither we or the actual owner of the property were very amused!

Kashmir likes this.
  2. House

House Well-Known Member

No but have heard of a house in Canberra being sold without the owners knowledge. Similar thing happened with two properties in Perth. Successful transfer of title in those cases!

Did you check the REA's credentials etc? If it's a small island maybe it was a genuine mistake.

3. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

Genuine mistake, the REA has their car branded and everything... We thought our LL was taking the you know what...And that he was trying to get someone in from under us (rules and regs more lenient here) but even he knew nothing about it.

Even after we told her the landlord knows nothing about her being on the premises she kept on ploughing through our house...

4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I've had an open house on 10am on a Saturday when we were tenants.

The place was actually on the market

Shame the REA didn't actually think to notify us that the place was on the market and there was an open house to be held.

Same agent doing the management and sale BTW.

adrian_christian likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Not heard of that, but have heard of builders building on the wrong block of land by accident.

Blacky

6. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I had a DA issued for the wrong land. Council staff put in the wrong address for lodgement.

That took a surprising amount of time to fix.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's easier to approve something incorrectly than to correct the mistake.

8. 2927

2927 Well-Known Member

Aint that the truth F, have you ever tried dealing with the Land Titles Office. There in a world of their own.