House & Home Has anyone split the ppor budget gone city and country

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 25th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Would love to hear if anyone has split their ppor budget and bought two smaller homes e.g. one in the city and one in the country etc. We always end up living near mountains for skiing and walking but I also want to be near the ocean. Crazy idea but current thoughts are a small house near Jindabyne/Cooma for mountains and a house on the Sunshine Coast. Anyone done similar?

EN710 likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I know of some people who live in Christchurch in summer and Cairns in winter.

Me personally, I'd be really happy to do Sydney 8-9 months of the year and Brisbane the rest. Would not work job-wise atm though.

Pumpkin, EN710 and ellejay like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Doesn't sound too crazy - Cooma is reasonably affordable. SC depends on where you'd like to live. Personally - I'd buy one and look to air bnb/long term rent in another.

Cheers

Jamie

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. ellejay

We have this set up in NZ, have a place near the mountains in the south and a place in the Tasman area near amazing beaches. We're staying in Aus though so looking to set up the same thing again. Cooma is the only place we can see that has the right proximity to mountains with good walks, but you can still get to the beach in a couple of hours. I don't know what it would be like to live there though. You're probably right that we could do air bnb or pet sitting etc at the beach, but I reckon Sunshine Coast would be a good investment, so I could use that as an excuse to just buy somewhere nice.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  6. ellejay

Which Christchurch is that, is it in Sydney?

7. ellejay

Not particularly lucky, I bet we'd buy both properties for less than some pay for one.

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

NZ

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Hi ellejay
    Where in the Tasman area is your place? Nelson, Kaiteriteri or Golden Bay?

10. ellejay

ha ha, I wasn't sure if there was another Christchurch but in Sydney :) Doing Qld in the winter from NZ is another option but it gets complicated with the dog, flying her over and finding Cookie monster friendly accommodation.

11. ellejay

It's in Motueka, so in between.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@ellejay - better than Jindabyne/Sunshine Coast - Albury/Wodonga (Has Airport, Hospital, Uni, Good Schools, jobs/opportunities), good access to Mt Hotham/Falls Creek(about 1.5 hours away)/Mt Buffalo (& 200km to Thredbo) - you could also pick more regional towns like Mt Beauty/Bright and pick your place for warmth.

There are direct flights to Qld too.

larrylarry likes this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Great beaches around Able Tasman National Park.
    Sunshine coast hinterland would be my pick in the area, not as busy but still close enough to the beach. I love Montville and Maleny.

14. ellejay

Hey SNM this is the dilemma. We live near Wodonga at the moment and Myrtleford/Mt Buffalo has been very much on the cards. It's so warm and sunny here and so beautiful :) It's such a looong drive to the coast though, and we're going to be semi retired. I thought it would be good to have the diversity day to day of mountains and coast. I don't know, can't decide, just trying to second guess what would be best. I'm lucky though with my work, my old boss has offered me a 3 month locum in Broome later in the year so will be all expenses paid for both of us to travel and live up there. Maybe that's enough beach if I do that a couple of times a year.

Gockie likes this.
  15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

what sort of work do you do? Great perks.

16. ellejay

Allied health.

17. Scott No Mates

Its about 3-3.5 hours from Falls to the coast at Lakes Entrance or about the same from Wodonga to Melbourne/bayside.

18. ellejay

I know, but even I wouldn't want to live at Falls Creek, on top of the mountain, way too cold. We did consider Omeo until we went for a walk, got back in the car, felt a something sharp on my leg and looked down to see a swarm of about 500 giant ants running all over my feet and legs :eek: Okay, slightly exaggerated numbers but you get the idea, put me off Omeo. If I could have Vic mountains and NSW coast all moved a bit closer together I'd be happy :p

19. Scott No Mates

@ellejay - yeah. I can see why you'd like Cooma. Easy drive through the bush to Merimbula/Bega (great oysters), still reasonable access to the mountains and back to Canberra

ellejay likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My grandfather had a house in Adelaide and one in Brisbane. They were both pretty ordinary but he and my gran enjoyed traveling up to Brisbane to skip the cold Adelaide winters. I think they spent about 4 months in Brissie every year.

ellejay and Gockie like this.