Has anyone paid off their ips and used the snow ball effect ?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Drunkanbarbarian, 18th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

I do this as well but i have 2 seperate offset accounts 1 for personal and 1 for investment. lately i've been thinking is there really any point for this. so you just have the 1 offset for both?

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Most of them are investment accounts.

I do use a personal offset but the amount of money flowing through it is not as large just monthly living expenses. The larger amounts are money which flow to investment offsets.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No point in having 2 from a tax point of view. In fact you would be losing tax savings if you have non deductible debt.

But it can be a good idea to segregate money in different accounts as a saving or budgeting strategy.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Might be good....remember that the Federal Govt guarantee is 250k per person for each financial institution.

Also from a risk management perspective better not to have all the cash in one account...just in case rules change/policies change over time and they can reach into your offset of worse still close this off.

More a risk management strategy than anything else...

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

what i meant is i have 2 offset accounts both against ips as i don't have a ppor 1 is for my personal income / out goings and the other offset is for rents / out goings.

Terry_w likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice