Has anyone noticed an apathy with sales staff lately?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Car tart, 15th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

im a cashed up buyer, and on the lookout for a good piece of future developable land. Only in NW Sydney.

Lately I noticed hardly anything has a price on it and most have been for sale for up to a year. So it’s the old ring around to find out the prices etc, but over 1/2 the agents don’t even take your number so they can call you back if the price moves.

Agents don’t seem to be working their vendors.

I’m also looking for a Terrigal holiday house and all the high end properties have been for sale from 8 months to 4 years. With prices the same despite the fact they were too high a year ago.

I think a good sweep out of these agents is overdue

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So you want the agent to get the vendor to price the property at what you want to pay?

I don’t think it works like that.
    Marg

Buynow, qak, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I feel its more like buyer seller vacuum

Brought on by 2 things

Buying listings, and a slowing market

same animal as GFC time

will go away in 6 to 12 mths, when the new normal hits

ta
    rolf

Codie likes this.
  4. Car tart

From my 39 years of experience as a successful licensed real estate agent, land banker and developer, if a property is being advertised for 3 months or longer, then only a stupid agent would not try and convince his client that the property is over priced and needs some adjustment. If properties on average have gone down 10% in 18 months and your property is still for sale at the same price, there is something wrong with the agent not the buyer.

+-5, The Y-man, Tom Rivera and 2 others like this.
  5. Rolf Latham

To me that just means, the seller doesnt need to sell............. so they were not really in the market in the first place.

A lot of time is wasted by ooohhh lets test the market.

Ta

rolf

TheSackedWiggle, wylie and kierank like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Isnt there a third party to all of this.

7. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

We (Sydney) have had a couple of years of extraordinary growth and selling hasn't been overly difficult. A typical agent's strategy has been step 1) place property on market for auction step 2) sell at auction more than the property is worth at the time.

With any growing market comes new blood (same story with mortgages) and thats all some people know. Now that the market has turned agents need to rely on new strategies (other than just auctions), they need to call potential buyers back, ask questions, develop relationships, etc.

The other trap that a lot of people fall in is that they will get a sales appraisal from a couple of agents and generally go with the highest not knowing that its completely unrealistic to get that price in this market. So they are advertising the wrong price which causes the listing to go stale.

Angelar, Stoffo and Car tart like this.
  8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Might be lag @Car tart . Up here in Darwin there was a few years between the market moving and the sellers (and agents) getting the memo...

9. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

In my experience if the agent wants to eat then yes they will sell the vendor down.

Scott No Mates and Car tart like this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well at least you have sorted the 50% of the Agents out -and when you look at those numbers on how long those properties have been listed subject to changes in interest rates and in the overall economy -not that it will worry you as being a cash buyer-but interest rates may well worry the vendors ..It's not the investment circle that counts -it's how well you know the parameters..Just don't tell them your a car sales person..

11. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's a way to get in touch with the vendors directly as a last resort?

12. Marg4000

Yes, but in the end it is up to the vendor to agree. Some simply won’t budge.

The vendor sets the lowest price they will accept, just as the buyer sets the highest price they will pay.
    Marg

13. Marg4000

Or the agent has quoted high to get the listing.
    Marg

Car tart and Terry_w like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Based on what you are experiencing, I would say it isn’t far away :eek:.

15. Car tart

34A Werrina Parade, Blue Bay NSW 2261 - House For Sale | Domain
    Highest bid at auction was $2.9, I rang the agent yesterday and offered $3.0, agent said no, the vendors are asking $3.7. Then hangs up without asking my name or details. He did say he was busy with clients at that moment.
    So the lazyness continues.

16. Rolf Latham

Possibly poor training as a primary thing.

Most direct sales work of this nature............... many many people come from totally disparate backgrounds, are given their Shingle and then left to fend for themselves.

To me that is not a reflection of the mug with the shingle, it tells me the people that own the business are possibly clueless on how new people learn best by example........... not by trial and error.

I have always been taught that the most experienced person should be spending at least some time with the newest person...............

ta
    rolf

Harry30 likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

18. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

It could also be a vendor who has their head in the clouds and said, I won’t accept anything under 3.7. Don’t even insult me with a call for less, blah blah.

It can be a two way street

19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe go back to what used to happen 25 years ago as I still see these adds in the tenders and quotes ..
    Just a simple 75$ add in the weekend high end newspaper --property wanted up too 3 mill cash buyer ---quick settlement ..
    You could get up too 20 calls from that one add,and being a car sales property business person and being able to qualify most within 30 seconds between the dreamers ---tyre kickers ---then the terms ---conditions---and obligations clearly defined before you do the title search..Some will hang up and tell you to get stuffed -others will tell you everything

20. Car tart

That one is $3.9 million for the land and a da to build a house. So $5 million,