Has anyone installed a downdraft extractor (rangehood) before?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jaybean, 19th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yes! That was actually the very first idea I had. But I did some research and apparently this Elica brand is trash...poor quality product with basically zero Australian support. So I backed out of that pretty quickly. Shame there aren't more choices in this area, cause it's a very compelling product.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

4. jaybean

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had a cooktop in what used to be a stove recess on an old Queenslander. We added a deck but kept the recess, added a window behind up to roof level, which meant we couldn't add a range hood. We'd never had one anyway but now the cooking was being done in that recess full of glass we chose to add an extractor fan to the side of the stove recess. It did the job, almost disappeared in the side of the VJ side wall.

So, someone suggested a ceiling extractor fan and this would be better than nothing. None of our various houses over the years had fancy kitchens and so as we upgraded, we added overhead cupboards and range hoods. Queenslanders with good airflow and high ceilings didn't seem to suffer from not having range hoods, but I guess it depends on the style of cooking being done.

jaybean likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

We’re in the process of putting in the Bosch downdraft extractor.. there are a few options with ducting, which you’d be able to do with any make/model. We’re putting the duct through the external wall with a grid cover plate over.

we’re in the same boat where we don’t want to ruin a big window splashback.

id recommend venting through the external wall if possible rather than venting out the kickboard.. that’s not really venting

7. jaybean

Could you post some pics when you're done? I'd love to see it.

vbplease likes this.
  8. vbplease

Will do. I think the stone goes in 2 feb and cooktop should go in soon after.

jaybean likes this.
  9. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Hi vbplease/jaybean,

Just on this. We put in a Bosch Induction Cooktop (Downdraft) a couple of years ago when we redid the kitchen. Love the cooktop, it is really good. We vent through the external wall with a cover plate as per vbplease is planning.

Really happy with functionality, works very well for our purposes.

vbplease and jaybean like this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Pic's ?
    There's some fancy hanging glass range hoods that won't disrupt your view as much.

We put overhead cupboards in with the range venting via them (do lose some space), you can never have enough storage.
    20220120_060034.jpg
    With the wide slim induction top there's plenty of space back to the window so splash isn't an issue.

11. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Jaybean - some pics of our kitchen and vent to outside. IMG_2466.jpg IMG_2470.jpg IMG_2472.jpg IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2481.jpg

Stoffo and vbplease like this.
  12. jaybean

This is brilliant, so it's just an L shaped pipe that goes directly into the wall then covered with what looks a bog standard cover plate. Love it!

Since the out-of-the-box ducting probably wasn't designed for this, I assume there was a bit of custom work done?

@vbplease check this out

13. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Our carpenter sorted it out. We did have to purchase an overpriced piece of a plastic from Bosch for the external venting option (does not come standard with cooktop) but according to our carpenter was not really a difficult exercise. Needed some flexible ducting material as well, to run to the external cover plate.

vbplease likes this.
  14. jaybean

Thanks, where did you buy that plastic extender? (it's literally one piece right, I remember seeing a picture, like a rectangular ring?)

I looked everywhere but can't seem to find it.

15. vbplease

Omg, tell me about it.. I bought a couple straight runs, elbows and adaptors from Bosch and it was something stupid like $450 for about $10 worth of PVC..

@jaybean you only need 1 x straight run of the ducting, if going straight out the wall, which is pretty easy to order from Bosch.. it would be best to order from Bosch in case the sizing from the local plumbing shop isn't compatible.

I found the price of the cooktop to be pretty good - approx. $3k from winning appliances. It's also advertised under $3k from Harvey Norman.

jaybean likes this.
  16. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Jaybean - purchased from Appliances Online - just note there is now an updated cooktop model from the one we purchased, so make sure the vent kit is a correct match. Or call Bosch direct.

SKU HEZ381401 BOS INSTALL KIT
    FOR PVS851F21E
    AUS-POST 1 $99.00
    Total (AUD): $99.00

Stoffo likes this.
  17. jaybean

Thank you!!

18. jaybean

Another question I have is...because of all the extra space this takes up, I assume you'd have no chance of fitting an oven under the stove?

19. vbplease

Great looking kitchen!!

Hamwow likes this.
  20. vbplease

No chance of an oven under.. unless its at the very bottom of the cabinetry, which is not practical.

I just measured ours, still in the box, and its about 235mm.. so the upper drawer can still be used, but it will be pretty shallow.