Education & Work Has anyone ever just gone "stuff you" and quit their job?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I am unfortunately one of those people who have always thought teachers have it easy.

But let me explain why.. I know only 2 teachers. My aunty and my sister-in-law. One I would describe as a sloth, one I'm sure is drinking 12 energy drinks a day when I'm not looking.
    Both work for high schools in The Hills District.
    Both have given me a run down of their general day - 8am - 4:30pm generally, with loads of cake and chit chat in between.
    They both have 'marking' and 'stuff' to do during the school holidays, and both say "You can do it all one the first day, and the rest of the time off is yours."

The only complaints I've heard from either of them is 'playground duty', because they can't really mingle with their mates during recess and lunch - and the admin processes slow them down a bit, otherwise their days would be shorter.

There's also a document "The School Day Fact Sheet" by the Department of Education that explains a teachers hours of duty require the teacher be at school 30 minutes before school work begins in the morning, and only if thought necessary, that they remain back for 30 minutes after school ends. So, this says to me 8:30am to 3:30pm work days. I know this may not be what actually happens in real life, but it adds to peoples assumptions.

So, you can't really blame some people for 'thinking' that teachers have it easy. Some obviously do, whilst the rest are silent warriors that get flogged to death.

Back to the topic, I have up and quit before. Ended up leaving a job I disliked, moved regional with nothing planned, and went from there. One of the best decisions I made.
    Cleared my head, and got me on the path to the career I now have. I don't earn 'much', but the work is satisfying.

Gladys, Brady and qak like this.
  2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I've done it twice, once a long time ago, and again a few months ago.

I worked for Target for a week when I was at Uni - we were setting up a new store, and immediate supervisor told us to set up clothing racks in a particular way, and put the clothes on. Nearly finished, then HER supervisor came along and told us to pull it all down and do it her way. OK, frustrating enough, but then when that was done, first supervisor came back and made us pull it down and restart the original way. I could see where this was going ... they were very much like you are the minions, don't question anything.

More recently I quit after more than 20 years - the business had been sold and I didn't like the way the purchaser ran their business, and the BS/politics/mind-F-ing/lies that went on. I was micro-managed which I did not appreciate, especially after 20 years of managing myself. We were given ridiculous billing targets which did not take into account the changeover matters we had to deal with. When there's something that makes you roll your eyes every day, you know it's time to go!

I've since found out the principal and an associate have been defendants in legal matters showing a lack of ethics (which I had noticed ...), misleading and deceptive conduct, and swindling people. I'm fairly glad my name won't be associated with theirs!

In both cases I have been fortunate enough to not 'need' the work - at Uni I was still supported at home; and more recently I'm in a financial position good enough to not need to work.

sharon, Kassy and willair like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's all you can do,just stick to the plan ---and sometimes it helps to say to yourself each morning ..
    ""This is going to be the best day of my life"""..

One of our daughters is a Teacher of 4 years teaching special needs students,then she found out her first placement was at one of the private schools at Logan..The first 3 months while still living with us she would come home crying a few times each week..

Several times she wanted to walk out,we would talk at dinner every night ..All I would tell her is ,within the system you are working in,Logan is their testing ground you either make it or leave like your 2 uni mates who walked out..She ended up spending 2 years in Logan ,with all the family breakups -deaths -and 2 bikies from different groups who would pretend to fight while picking up the kids ..She now has permanent placement at a inner
    southside school and from the Logan experience has taught her about life..

The Y-man and paulF like this.
  4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely.

I prefer work to live rather than live to work.

I respect myself enough to know when to walk away for the sake of my sanity & personal wellbeing.

Each to their own.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

This is turning into a fantastic thread.....

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Not quit in a day but quit more than once without a job to go to.
    1. Working in local government in the UK during the Thatcher years, and quit to migrate to Australia in 1991 without a job.
    2. 1997 working for a Water Authority that had a reorganisation. My post was made redundant but they offered another job on the same pay . . . by that time I had enough of office politics so decided to take the money and run.
    3. 2009 working at a French owned company as a project manager. The role was middle man between two divisions of the organisation with the two divisional managers fighting for dominance. At 55 decided I was definitely too old for that ****.

Angel, willair, KayTea and 2 others like this.
  7. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

I was 16. I walked into Maccas North Perth, handed my uniform across the counter and walked out.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I remember that day like it was yesterday! I was a customer in the maccas at the time. What I saw was that you got totally ****** off because of the s*it you had to deal with.

Mid shift you cracked it so you stripped your uniform off in front of all the customers and your co-workers then you handed it over in a bold move saying:

"I quit, this place does not deserve my talents. You and your minions are beneath me! I'm actually the crown prince of Norway. I was just working here to see what the life is like here with all the peasants in WA but I've had enough."

And with that, you exited the store.​

I felt like spicing up your story. Happy 2019 ;)

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2019
  9. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Gold!

I wish. I just invoked my miranda rights and said nothing.

Gockie likes this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@Gockie the more of your posts I read leads me to the conclusion you’ve got a wicked mind:). My favourite kind of person:cool:.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Jan, 2019
    Gockie and Angel like this.
  11. Gockie

I think my story is the type of story the readers of this thread wants to... Nay... deserves to read about :D.
    Ok, well, it might well be fictitious, but it was interesting... Drama, nudity, overacting...

What more would you want from a Maccas resignation? Ok, I didn't throw in sex or a fighting scene. Maybe next time.

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2019
    Nodrog likes this.
  12. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

Yes twice now. Life is to short to waste on doing things you don't enjoy or feel that matter. I would suggest an exit plan.

bashworth likes this.
  13. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Not me, one of my first bosses in his younger days.

In those particular roles, the company usually provides a house, and car.

He worked as a foreman (I think), promotion he was promised was given to an external applicant. Called a mate that afternoon, cleared out the house, and dropped the house and car keys through the mailbox slot. Didn't even text.

Became a Contiki bus driver for 2 years after that.

14. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this yesterday and remembered that I once quit a job via email when I was on holiday because I never wanted to go back. I preplanned it and took all my personal stuff home before I went on leave and had a new job lined up for when I got back. They were real A’holes so they deserved it.

I had a great holiday! :D

qak and Gockie like this.
  15. allegria

allegria Member

Pickles please

16. Gockie

Ohhh.... Good idea. Someone should have slipped on pickles and onion that fell on the floor. Then the store should have been sued for putting the burger together upside down, causing the contents to fall out. Next time!

geoffw likes this.