Education & Work Has anyone ever just gone "stuff you" and quit their job?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I had lots of parallels to your story - I really enjoyed what I did (in corporate) but the further and more senior my career went the more I needed to focus on the politics over delivering great results and at the front of the business with customers.

I didn't walk out and rage quit - but at the time I did put a structure together on an exit plan that would span 2 years and I'm now running my own business in a field that I'm passionate about. Truth was that it took a little bit longer to put into practice as I wasn't absolutely sure I was ready to leave (addicted to the PAYG money) but well past that milestone now the only regret I didn't do it earlier.

Good luck :)

KayTea likes this.
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I hope you promptly responded to the real estate agent as after all you are old and close to dying :)

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely!

I don't even buy green bananas these days.

spludgey and Kassy like this.
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

yes I said "stuff it, i'm going" when I thought my bosses knew less than me...and went on a venture with a friend. It's been 10 years and I'm happy. But before saying 'stuff it'i had my plan executed and everything in place before i said "stuff it"

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If you buy them from Woolworths or Coles I suspect you won't have to worry even if they are green. Two days at the most then Pfft! history.

geoffw likes this.
  6. geoffw

Like avocados. Wait a day, wait a day, wait a day, wait a day, QUICK, EAT ME NOW, brown.

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I did look into it, but didn't realise that my child would be educated for free if I worked there (the cost of her school fees turned me off - but if I didn't have to pay them, then that's a whole other story). I'll take another look into it - thanks for the info, @hammer

Poppy likes this.
  8. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That's why I'm still there, @JacM. I don't want to have to sell any assets, either - I'll only make the move once all my ducks are in a row.

JacM and SeafordSunshine like this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

No worries, also might be worth taking a look at the NT. I know that they will pretty much roll out the red carpet for new teachers up here.

Also the social makeup is quite different with heaps of ESL students and indigenous families. This provides quite a few opportunities that are not traditional teaching.

If you go remote you get paid megabucks and get given housing as well.

Dunno if it will solve any problems but it might be worth a look at least.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I’ve left a lot of jobs including an incredible job as an international diplomat with very high pay and no accountability for life. It took me 2 years to rip off the velvet handcuffs and I’ve never looked back

The reason I started Property investing when I was 20 was to be free and make my own choices and not worry about money

Your story is interesting as I retrained as a teacher after having my first baby - as like my parents I have very strong community values and want to work in meaningful places. I want to work and I want to work in jobs I would do for free, for pleasure

I recently left teaching after only 1.5y PT as it’s a crazy place and honestly I felt really unsafe and extremely stressed most days, most the time. I rarely had time to eat or use the toilet and never sat down. I enjoyed it I love teenagers, and stayed - right up to them point when it became too much. Life’s short and each day has to be your best...I’m about to start a new job (for love not money) that’s not only very highly paid but working for the department health with vulnerable patients. So excited to continue working in a real job when my work matters...

Message is make the brave choice, be fearless and when you jump you’ll fly :)

KayTea likes this.
  11. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

don’t agree - the heat, social isolation, transient alcoholic population and very deep social problems would send you packing within a few years. I like the idea of teaching indigenous communities but it’s not fair for them to get city teachers for only a few years. Very high turnover

12. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to be in one of the older Defence pension schemes called DFRDB, which has no actual minimum age for the pension to start rather just the requirement to have achieved 20 years service. There are 'youthfulness' penalties for certain ranks (3% pension reduction per each year below a notional retiring age for a given rank, however once I hit age 45 I had cleared it. So I have been getting paid my defined benefit scheme pension since the day I left at around 45 and a half years of age. Needless to say, I am very grateful to be in this position!

sharon, KayTea, Nodrog and 3 others like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well done.

When in the PS I received a redundancy offer at 41 and grabbed it. Only a smallish defined benefit pension but another source of income along with dividends and rental income. Wife will kick off her indexed DB pension of a similar amount in six months time. PS defined benefit members can commence a pension at 55. They’re only a small part of our overall income but being indexed they’re useful all the same.

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2019
    HomePage likes this.
  14. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Mine was a more substantial part of my portfolio as I had done 30 years service so my pension was just over 50% of my final salary. Annual indexation was the cream on top!

Nodrog likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Look I've walked out on a job at morning tea and never went back. They sent me a letter saying I abandoned my employment. I had a gap in my résumé which I covered with BS.

Now, the new improved datto doesn't walk away, no, he stays and makes life so miserable for management that they leave. I'm talking middle of the floor arguments that all can see. Cops have come to my workplace but they never charged me - I did nothing wrong.

Don't take no crap. Do what you can in a day's work and let somebody else do the rest. I laugh when I see other workers start early/work late for free.

On a side note, I have never progressed in my job lol.

KittyCat, Brady, Kassy and 1 other person like this.
  16. geoffw

I was at one workplace where a person quit (without notice) on his way out of the office by means of an all staff email.

Needless to say, he will never be welcome back at that workplace.

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2019
    Ben_j, Kassy, qak and 1 other person like this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Lucky we are not in the US where guns are easily available lol.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I've got at least 13 weeks of unused sick leave accrued and I only ever take about 5 days per year. 18 years into this job, I have finally learned that when I feel a meltdown coming on, I send an email to my boss saying that I will be sick tomorrow. The trouble with this strategy is that sometimes the meltdown sneaks up on me and then i have to explain myself to the Principal instead. Getting sent to the Principal's office causes a major anxiety attack........

I can pull the Disability card with my immediate manager. She smiles sweetly knowing that all her most efficient staff are on the ASD Spectrum and we will walk any time we like given the conditions are so bad in this industry.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  19. JASA

JASA Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance for my lengthy reply, I absolutely relate to your predicament. Sounds like you definitely need a break. Don't burn bridges but look for another door and for something you may love doing. You never know which way life will take you.

In my career I have quit a few times, due to frustration, boredom or to due to moving house and wanting to work closer to home. Whatever the reason, each time a better door has always opened. One of those times though it took a strange turn. I was totally burnt out. My dad was very ill, I was not coping well psychologically with that and I was working in a government health service that was ridiculously management heavy, tied up in bureaucracy and embarrassingly ineffective at meeting the needs of the targeted population. It was a total farce and waste of tax payers money. It was demoralising day after day to feel I had contributed nothing, especially as I felt that I could have been home spending time with and caring for my dad instead. I stood up from my desk one day at 2pm, walked out, drove home, rang my boss and said 'I quit'.

My boss talked me into taking leave instead and I very reluctantly agreed, feeling adamant that I would not be going back. That time allowed me to chill out and to be with my dad when he died. It also gave me time to contemplate the issues with the service and to provide a considered and logical communication of those issues to the organisation. A few months after I returned to work. We were informed that the health service would close, I was super glad. I was offered the choice of either a transfer to a similar position in Gov Health or a severance package. I had broken service by working interstate for a while so only had a 5 year working history which meant a very small package (around 6 months wage) If I chose the package it would mean I could not work in my States Gov funded health organisation for 4 years. Risky considering Govy health is the largest health employer. I took the risk and the package.

I didn't apply for any advertised positions, instead I wrote to 2 private health organisations - those I felt I may enjoy working for. Within a week I was interviewed and within 2 weeks offered roles by both organisations. One in my area of expertise, and the other in a role I wasn't aware existed, in a field I had never worked in but in an area of health that I have always had a great passion for. I chose to follow my passion and literally walked straight into my dream job with a nice little pot of bye bye money from Govy health. I've worked in this role for over 4 years now and it really doesn't feel like work for me. Every day is challenging and fascinating and tiring and wonderfully rewarding, I absolutely love it. The pay is great but I would honestly do it for free, and when I retire I will almost certainly remain engaged in this field.

When I wrote those 2 letters, I thought about what I wanted, expressed my passion, provided an objective appraisal of my capabilities and described what I wanted to achieve. Then I looked for the right door to knock on. My advice would be to take some time out to reboot if you can, and most importantly, think about what interests you and what you are already good at. Sometimes they are the same. If you could choose any job in the world what would it be? I had described my ideal job to my family and friends long ago, without ever realising that it actually existed. Another door won't open until you knock on it. Work is a very big part of a very short life, don't waste it being unhappy.

The Prestige, sharon, KayTea and 11 others like this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I hear you!
    I'm not a teacher, but my wife is. What really gets to her (and me) is the pandering to parents rather than doing what's actually useful for the children's learning. The execs should also have to teachers' backs against the parents if need be, not the other way around as it often appears to be.

Given that you're saying that it's a 15 hour job, I might assume that you could be a private teacher? The public teachers that I know do maybe an extra 3 hours a day, so it brings them to 9 hours a day.

In my experience, feeling valued also has a huge impact on job satisfaction, some of which comes from remuneration. Not sure if you're ready for a total change, but moving might be an option. I know that teachers in WA and NSW make better money than some other states and you might be able to crack the 6 figure salary there.

One of the reason's that I'm doing this whole investing gig is that I want to get "**** you" money. It basically means to me that I could at any point just say exactly that and walk out. Now I don't envisage ever doing that, but having the comfort to know that you could, would be great!

KayTea and EN710 like this.