Education & Work Has anyone ever just gone "stuff you" and quit their job?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Quit and do tutoring - high school maths, the world is your oyster ;)

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do It

But see a planner at your Super Company or your Accountant or your Union to work out exactly how to make the most of your LSL and entitlements. After six months, you can go casual, maybe three days per week for the same income - no responsibility after 4pm each day, you can choose whether you are "available" when the agency phones you, which schools you will make yourself available for and which ones you wont. etc

But do not actually resign until you have used up your LSL and you know exactly how to make the most of your entitlements. You dont want to be reemployed as a first-year.

Stoffo, Toon, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Depends on your financial situation.

Back then I couldn't as financially it'll make it so much harder for us. Situation improves from there and I quit after I find other role, keeping the leaving part courteous and amicable (it's a small industry, words get around).

If you still have the mental capacity, look for other options and arrange a break in between roles (or even take holidays now if you can).

Toon likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby did this aged 50 and then did another year in total (two stints) to help out old bosses who needed his expertise. His work life balance had been great through our kids' younger years with flexibility for him to take them to the park etc some afternoons. But it just got worse and someone would leave, and hubby would just be handed their work. He was doing two jobs. He left.

Our investing and doing without for many years paid off as it allowed him to retire early.

I know a kindy teacher who feels exactly like this. The paperwork is horrendous and she also "loves" it when people say she has a short day and all those holidays. It just isn't the case.

Another friend is doing high school math tutoring. She was never a teacher but is a math whiz and I'm sure she did study in her 40s to enable her to tutor. She earns a great hourly rate, works from her own home, picks and chooses who she will tutor and how many hours she wants to work.

Or maybe do "fill in" teaching (cannot recall the right term) but that has its downsides too. Waiting for a call each morning and not able to really plan anything if you want to have your chosen schools call you and not think you aren't reliably available. But friends who have done this say the pay is very good, and you avoid all the planning and paperwork (generally).

The Y-man, Toon, KayTea and 1 other person like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Urban and Regional Planning

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Maybe im getting older but in the past it was working my butt off and saving for myself and my kids and my family. I feel like its time to enjoy a little of it
    We are all happy now.
    I recently did a first class trip to europe and a took my parents busienss class round the world using my credit card points

Im enjoying life now. I may regret it in a few years if my portfolio turns to crap.

Toon likes this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Really?
    When i had my own busienss that didnt come into my mind. However i disnt take time off because
    I couldnt. There was no one that could do my job or i could trust or was reliable enough

Otie and Stoffo like this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Thanks. Im not living like a king but not like a hermit either...
    But i will raise the bar again soon and move on to my next venture!!

9. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Training (outside core responsibilities) and admin requirements for many jobs are crazy. Beurocrates and the need to cover ones ass have led to so many inefficiencies. These people need to keep inventing things to keep themselves employed I guess and there's enough of them to pat each other on the back and say what a great job and difference they are making.

Had to do an online course on what goes in what bin among other things. Because of all the meaningless stuff the good is burried or not taken seriously as everyone has the attitude it's just another time waster.

Maybe not helpful, feel for your situation.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Would stepping back to a Teachers Aid role for a period assist?

11. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Thought of that - I'd need to work from 3:30 til 8-9pm each night - not possible with a primary school aged child

12. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

They get paid about the same as a Maccas employee - couldn't pay the mortgage on that

spludgey likes this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you work with the schools, you can take the kids out during their maths classes.

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Is there a counselor or head teacher you can talk to about your concerns? I'm sure they won't want you to quit, but they won't want you to be feeling in this way either.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gockie likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If a govt job I'm sure there's an employer shrink you can visit.

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes, I did it. I was fortunate that we'd paid off our mortgage and my then fiancé agreed to support me until I got another job. It was about a month before we got married. One boss said he wouldn't accept my resignation, the other boss said he'd look into the letter I'd wriiten months ago asking for a pay rise. I told them both I was leaving and nothing they could do or say to keep me there. After I left they split my job into three roles. I heard about 5 people quite within a year doing the accounts receivable role of my job. It was the best move I ever made! I did temp work for a short while then got offered full time work with a great not for profit organisation with lovely people doing payroll and relief accounts for people on annual leave.

Kassy and Gockie like this.
  18. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I worked with a pack of A$$holes once. I knew after a week of starting but it was just after September 11 and I was too proud to ask my former employer for my job back (in hind sight I should have). I was there nearly 2 years, I had a big holiday planned and I quit while I was away so I wouldn't have to go back. They ended up docking my last pay $500. I would have paid twice that to leave so I let it slide. I heard on the grapevine that Karma caught up with the biggest A$$holes...

@KayTea I say quit ASAP. It's not worth your heath and life is too short!

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You were a proctologist?

The Y-man

Kassy likes this.
  20. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I think I was the one getting 'examined' lol