Education & Work Has anyone ever just gone "stuff you" and quit their job?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

After getting more and more dumped on me, without anything being taken away, I'm at breaking point.

I've been in the same industry for over 22 years, and still love my core role (teaching). But the administrative stuff (in order to meet legal, parental, and leadership demands) have now gotten so out of hand, without any reduction in the time required in front of a class. It is now easily a 15-hour per day job, and please don't tell me how easy I've got it - I've never, ever worked 9am-3pm, and we don't get 12 weeks of holidays per year (that's a huge public misconception). On a 5-figure salary, no overtime, and no ability to negotiate demands etc, I'm ready to throw it all in.

Has anyone ever just walked out and never gone back?

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Unfortunately common also in the private sector...why March to the drum beat..when you can do what you can...they walk away and return to fight another day.

Be a "Buffalo Soldier";)

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive never done it because im a calm person, but I feel sorry for those people thta even though they dont need the money, just think about how much their job brings in , and even small things such as taking one day off for a holiday or to go somewhere always say "well if i take a day off, I lose $x in pay and its going to cost me $200 for the day to go, so its going to cost me $Y and its not worth it.
    i just sit there with my jaw wide open ;)

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I am fortunate enough to not need the money, nor is my job full time, and I can choose when to work,
    having this sort of freedom to me is a very powerful privilege that ive worked hard for at a fairly young age

Whitecat, Gladys, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Yep, I asked for holidays and they said no...this was my first job at Hungry Jacks though so I don't think that's what you were looking for.

KayTea and Ben_j like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I had a staff member - store manager actually - who called me an hour after his due time to say "the reason I didn't come in to open was that I quit". Then proceeded to tell me exactly what he thought. Part of that was that I'm old and close to dieing (I was 55).

Two days later, I had a call from a real estate agent. "I'm calling because xxx nominated you as a referee. Do you think they would be a reliable tenant?"

I did tell the agent the circumstances of their leaving.

Ted Varrick, spludgey, Gladys and 6 others like this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

sounds more like the politics.............

its one reasonwe try andteach our peops to be not reliant on a sole source of income, so a 'rage quit" is tenable

ta
    rolf

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sure have. Like you, I had a gutful of my job and resigned on a whim. I had not job to go to and no plan. I set up my own business but failed to make any money. I went back to uni and enrolled in masters in a different area. After completing the first semester I got a full time job and completed my degree part time. I am now earning more than three times my previous job and love it! :)

Ted Varrick, Ben_j, Whitecat and 10 others like this.
  9. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Depends how much is "enough" for you !!!
    Im still working two jobs one very difficult at my age working Security at night casually, even though i own my own PPOR and have over 500k in the liquid assests its still not enough and I often get so scared about it, that it motivates me to go to work the second job.

10. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Yep but not in a 'rage quit' kind of way.
    If the job isnt working out despite my best efforts to make I happen, I spend some time upskilling on the side, updating resumes/professional profiles on the side/and start looking for something better. Once I've locked that next opportunity in, I calmly walk in and give my two weeks notice.

That said, I'm not a teacher.

My wife was a teacher for a few years, my mum was a teacher and then AP, so I know your pain @KayTea.
    Might be time to start thinking outside the box.
    Ive got a mate who is a trained high school teacher- he works for a training and education company that upskills adult groups in developing countries. Gets paid better too.
    I'm also currently working alongside a good professional trainer - much of what he's working on looks very similar to what I saw my wife produce during her time at school (curriculum etc) except this time it's for face to face and e-learning modules. He would be earning more too I'd guess.

Gladys, The Prestige and KayTea like this.
  11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I can understand your frustration as my 2 daughters are both teachers and are constantly bringing up that the extra curriculum requirements (paperwork, running dance programs, dealing with admin, etc.) take their toll.
    Could it be the particular school you are at? Are you going for advancement?
    Could an option be to revert to casual whereby no doing reports, less lesson planning and possibly 3 days per week.
    I never quit a job, but I did quit Sydney many moons ago now. Best decision I ever made!

12. Rolf Latham

A not uncommon outcome.

When we do "coaching work" with people, almost always, the fear and risk of thenew stuff outside the comfort zone drowns the pain of the day to day drudge/rut.

I have heard it said that a deep rut with 2 ends............ is called a grave

ta
    rolf

Starbright and Perthguy like this.
  13. Rolf Latham

That mindset is also common amongst self employed - even more so I would say

ta

rolf

14. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

No advancement - the general expectations are just increasing, at what feels like an exponential rate!

TAJ likes this.
  15. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Wow, what did you end up doing your masters in? I have thought of going back to uni (I've actually done a lot of study since finishing my original degree - but none of them would take me down a different career path). Plus, actually having the time to study, when already work 15+ hours per day, and parenting a primary school aged child, isn't feasible. I can barely keep my eyes open after 8:30pm - I'm just too tired.......

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Life is too short to be in a situation where you feel miserable everyday . I would start looking/planning for other options .

15 hour work day on 5 figure income . Nah. You can do better imo.

Gladys, Toby, Observer and 3 others like this.
  17. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

This was actually the catalyst for my early retirement.

Having worked for an organisation for 30 years, I thought it reasonable to ask to take 6 months LSL off for a sabbatical and come back fresh for more work. I was told that wouldn't be possible because my skill set was in high demand. I asked what if I resigned and came back after 6 months or so and they said they'd take me back in a heart beat. Mkay...

As a result, I quit, enjoyed my six months off so much and had more than enough money to live that I never came back...

Phar Lap, Toby, luckyone and 6 others like this.
  18. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

Yep...but not without another place to go to first.

Gladys and SeafordSunshine like this.
  19. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

Well done!!
    In my opinion, you have won the money game!!... Financial freedom...

20. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That sounds so cool