Has anyone ever concreted over a council median strip?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by qonyx_sydney, 30th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Hello,

So here is the deal. I am about to finish construction of our granny flat in Campbelltown Council NSW.

I have just had some quotes for concreting over the council median strip and installing a new driveway lip and have been told that you need council approval for this.

So the following questions are:
    • What were the application costs in your council?
    • How much should it cost to remove old gutter and install driveway lip and concrete over council median strip (width 3m)?
    • If you were to do it without council approval, what are the chances of getting caught and what are the worse case scenarios?

Interested in your experiences.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

The technical term is a 'Crossover' and it's likely on your council website the costs and the application.

pinkboy

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you already have a 'rollover' kerb in place like many of the newer areas?

Council fees vary depending on the LGA. Only council approved contractors can construct crossovers. If you don't use a council approved contractor then additional council inspections are required - you will spend more than you save.

How much will it cost? How deep does the concrete in the gutter extend? No you cannot saw cut the gutter and lay the crossover. You must build the haunches as well as replace the footpath which is non-trafficable.

The full specs are available over the counter at council offices or possibly downloadable.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Lol now your talking my language!

If it's done to spec and you can prove it and document the work, they'll get you to pay the fees. As long as you have done the job to spec there is probably less heartache going about this way. It might be difficult to find someone to do it though. given that job is fairly standard it might be best to give to the brains trust a call.
    I wish you luck on your quest :)

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

.... Has the work already been completed? Lol

Spray paint it green, council won't notice :D

EN710 likes this.