Has anyone done Michael Yardneys Developer course.....

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 24th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

I considering wether to do Michael Yardneys upcoming developer renovation workshop....

Has anyone done it, recommend it......

I feel I know enough, but I guess there is that lingering doubt of what I still dont know and what extra value I might get out of the course.....

2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Mrs did it a few years ago. Good content but the tone could be improved. I have read the notes and full of useful stuff.

3. Keentolearn77

Cheers Hamish.
    So value for money...
    Some good secret golden nuggets to help save on development projects....

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I guess it wont hurt.

I learnt the most just by getting my hands dirty, you make mistakes you learn and its the builder/trades/townplanners/architects where you learn the important stuff IMO.

Most important factor that MY probably wont teach you is what product to build and where to buy? This will come back to you understanding market conditions and what meets market demand

6. Hamish Blair

Yes - we just completed a three townhouse development with some learnings from this course.

ellejay likes this.
  7. Aireys

Aireys Member

Is it something you could or would have done regardless of the course or was the course the deciding factor in prompting you to choose that strategy? Would Iove to hear your thoughts!

8. Keentolearn77

I guess I hope that I can learn how to avoid some of these mistakes straight up. Any stories your keen to share MTR

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just make sure you get a gun town planner. I had 12 objections on my Croydon project and he was able to get it over the line

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We also had several objections, but if it fits the council's plan, it doesn't really matter how many people object. That is what we were told.

It was funny to see one of the objectors had reconfigured and developed their own block next door, but didn't want us to do the same. Oh... the hypocrisy... :rolleyes:

Sackie and Brady like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Funny that. I had a scenario in Melb years ago now where neighbours on both sides asked if I wanted to buy their properties. As soon as they realised this was not happening they promptly objected to my project.

With my last development, the council we were dealing with were tree huggers, made it very difficult. Ended up with 3 arbour reports, not cheap, all saying the same thing, eventually Council agreed.

We actually met the guidelines, however the Council wanted more open space, we accommodated this and met them half way. The problem in Victoria is if you don't get Council on side you will be at VACT and waiting list is something like 6-9 months, and lawyers fees on top of this.

We could have pushed for another unit, as my Town planner believed it was a 4 unit site, but the numbers were still good with three, so we moved on.

wylie likes this.
  12. Keentolearn77

Yep - we fit the guidelines - so heres hoping.

Gun arborist got what we needed out of report & council.
    Advertising objection period is where the fun begins i guess, and hopefully ends pretty quickly

MTR likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All the best:)

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Bob Andersons boot camp is good. It's not gonna be the magic potion that makes you millions in a day but its worth a few thousand imo. Just the contacts for various states is worth the money.

15. Hamish Blair

I think it was more a case of giving us the confidence to proceed. A big risk is not knowing what you don't know; this course helped us to cover off the various financing, town planning, construction, marketing risks etc.

bob shovel likes this.
  16. Keentolearn77

Spot on Hamish - Its that big risk of not knowing what I don't know, and thats also how Michael sells it a bit

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately many of the risks with developing can be out of your hands because you really rely on so many people to do their job right. At times it feels like...

Risk propped up
    Mitigate as best as you can.
    Another shIIt thing happens, quickly find a solution or someone who can find the solution
    Demo underway,,,asbestos found in more places than expected. Go back and look at your contract, if not fixed price then time to dig into contingency.
    Hit rock. ****...
    Start praying its not too deep.
    ****** down with rain, 1 week wasted.
    And now my favourite....bones found during excavation... omg wtf...
    etc etc

Its really a rollercoaster ride even at the best of times imo.

benofbrisbane and GOU like this.
  18. Keentolearn77

LMOA
    Lets hope not

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its gonna happen in some area. Hope you like roller coasters :)

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For our pool the excavation was subject to rock. Excavator started first scrape and all I hear was the screech...Yep. A solid 100% sandstone block.

Murphy Law of Construction...You will always find rock when you dont want it. When you need stable footings you will find sand/soft clay. Plumbers attract rock or find old pipes. Pools attract rock. When excavating, the sewer will always be closer to the excavator than shown on plans and never further away - And they will always nick it. Ditto water, telephone and stormwater.
    Your neighbour never has these same issues. Why is that ?

Sackie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia