Hardyplank vs brick

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Classics??, 25th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Classics??

Classics?? Active Member

If you had to choose between the two , with the brick house been 15-20k more
    Assuming everything else is similar which would you choose ?
    Thx

2. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Would depend on your strategy. Hardiplank is generally easier/cheaper to extend or demolish, but will generally be valued lower than the same structure in brick.

Classics?? likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

What is common and in demand in the area you are looking at building? If the area demands brick then go with it. If there are lots of houses that are styles other than brick the market may be more tolerant (or even desire) of houses that aren't brick.

Classics?? likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Depends on whether it has asbestos in it or not.

5. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Maybe try seeing if you can go weatherboard ahead of those two options - but out of the two I would prefer brick.

6. Classics??

Classics?? Active Member

Only hardyplank can get asbestos right ? Not brick

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've seen some great stuff built around Brissie with Hardy plank. A little creativity goes a long way.

8. MikeyBallarat

Any house can have asbestos in it - it may be in the internal walls, ceiling, roof etc. The only way to be sure is to grab a home built in the 80s or later

9. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hardiplank IS "weatherboard" in terms of its appearance but it's not timber, its fibre cement. This will stand the test of time and it doesn't contain asbestos.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hardiplank purchased at a supplier today won't have asbestos. I agree.

However, cement sheet products sold/used up to the early eighties might contain asbestos. Without seeing the product or testing it we can't know if it is Hardiplank or not.

We don't know if the term is being used to refer to modern cement planks or ones on older houses, which may contain asbestos.

11. Classics??

Classics?? Active Member

Okay but whats more prone to getting it , hardyplank or brick ?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Any house (including brick houses) built or renovated from the Sixties to the early 1980s is likely to have it somewhere. In the bathroom or shower linings, eaves linings,

It's not a problem unless disturbed.

Classics?? likes this.
  13. MikeyBallarat

Hard to say, depends on the actual house. If you're worried about a particular home, just link me and I can take a look through the photos for ya

One product to be particularly wary of is Tilux - an asbestos sheeting that is used in bathrooms instead of tiles. It is bounded by aluminium, and is normally found in 60s/70s build homes (brick or not).

14. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

@Joynz @Classics?? sorry I thought you were talking about building a new home.

Old homes with fibre cement sheeting can most definitely contain asbestos.

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

To me, there are more factors that come into play when making decisions. Lot more.

If you had them side by side with all else the same, and an area where people prefer brick, then probably the brick. If that 20k meant I could be close to buying another, then probably the plank.

16. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I would look wider than just comparing 2 houses. Are there more hardiplank or brick houses in the area and looking at recent sales, are you noticing that brick houses are regularly selling for more than hardiplanks? As others said, this will indicate what buyers are looking for in that area (think about what the next buyer is wanting, unless you buy and never sell and are looking to extend/change etc).

What are the ages of the houses you are comparing?

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.