Hardwood decking tiles?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hammer, 19th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Howdy, I'm hopefully going to be building some decking over a concrete slab as part of a new patio.

I was thinking if using hardwood decking tiles? Seems easy enough to install and they look great.

But I am concerned with termites...It's in Darwin and the little blighters are most enthusiastic. I'm thinking it might work as long as I get the place checked every 6 months? If there is any damage I can just lift up the tile and treat or replace it?

Anyone else used this product?

Anyone got a better idea?

2. astinus4

astinus4 Member

IMG_2563.PNG
    Have you considered using porcelain tiles that look like wood? See attached photo of the tiles we laid on our deck last year.

DaveM and Stoffo like this.
  3. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

Hi @astinus4 those tiles look good. You wouldn't know the product name by any chance?

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

They look fantastic! Nice! Wife still keen on wood though...

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It's not just termites, it's the ongoing maintenance - i.e. oiling the wood. Generally every 6 months - less if not sun exposed.

Also, how are you going to deal with the leaves and dirt that will fall through and build up underneath the wooden deck tiles?

RE. Termites: the main danger is termites using the deck as a bridge to get into the house undetected. (Of course they could ruin the deck too, but that's comparatively minor.)

Can you leave an inspection gap (40mm-50mm) along where the deck joins the house? Cover this gap with a strip of aluminum or similar - then pull it up for a look every month or so.

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You're right about the maintenance....to be fair all of it was going to be under a roof.

Re cleaning and termites...they would be tiles....you can just lift them up and clean/check for termites. No way I'd be building a fixed deck that close to the ground up here....

The gap is a brilliant idea! Shall definately do that if I build the deck!

7. astinus4

astinus4 Member

Marazzi Castagno I believe....

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This is amazing. These would great for the kitchen and laundry too if you want a consistent wood look in your house.

9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Deck tiles are out....had dinner with an entomologist mate and she said it would be asking for trouble. Doubly so for when we make the property an IP.

Looks like we're going for a concrete based solution. Maybe those wood tiles are indeed the go?