Happiness Again

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 17th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I posted the items below on another thread. However, I thought may be useful to start another thread on this.

Stop doing this, if you want to achieve happiness, contentment, fulfilment or whatever you want to call it??

Holding on to the past
    Negative Self Talk
    Procrastinating
    Blaming Others
    Living for a pay cheque
    Never opening the door to challenge
    Comparing yourself to others
    Not being nice to yourself
    Trying to be someone your not.

Anything else????

MTR:)

Ben Wilkie, Xenia, eng and 3 others like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

From the internet:

Think that blowing off somebody elses candle will make yours shine brighter.

Last edited: 17th Jul, 2015
    Ben Wilkie, freyja and MTR like this.
  3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Seeing yourself as identical to your thoughts/feelings/emotions, rather than independent from them.

Ben Wilkie, freyja and Travelbug like this.
  4. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

Happiness is the journey, don't miss it

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's warmth

bwklau, Magnet, Coota9 and 3 others like this.
  6. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Fantastic

legallyblonde likes this.
  7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

These are emotions/attitudes that you should try to resist to be happy with oneself and life.

Anger
    Arrogance
    Blame
    Comparing
    Complaining
    Competing
    Condemn
    Contending
    Criticism
    Cynicism-distrust of others
    Dishonesty
    Doubt
    Egocentric
    Envy
    Egotism
    Excuses
    Fear
    Fault Finding
    Greed
    Hatred
    Intolerance
    Judgement
    Jealously
    Laziness
    Negative thoughts
    Procrastination
    Regrets
    Revenge
    Selfishness
    Worry

Rockstar and MTR like this.
  8. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Morality - performing wholesome deeds and refraining from actions that harm others
    Retaining and growing your virtues
    Learning how to nip negative emotions in the bud before they escape and multiply themselves
    Striving to become a better person through self awareness
    Don't forget the above - and enjoy the happy rewards you create through more peace of mind and contentment:)

WattleIdo, MTR and Perp like this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Calvin.JPG What makes you happy?

Happiness is an attitude that makes you appreciate and enjoy where you are, who you are, what you have, and what you are doing. As Calvin realizes when he looks at Hobbes lying in the sunny field, “It’s hard to argue with someone who looks so happy.”

EN710, WattleIdo and HomePage like this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Interesting concept. Please tell me more.

11. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Speaking from experience,? ;) I hear nappy pants are just as satisfactory but less revealing. :D

12. Steven Ryan

The fact that thoughts/emotions/feelings/physical sensations are merely things that arise spontaneously–without your control, input or intent–and then pass away equally spontaneously, is something I discovered through my practice of mindfulness meditation (Vipassana).

You can learn a lot about yourself when you sit, eyes closed, and simply observe everything as it arises and passes away.

After hundreds of sum hours invested in mindfulness, I see how easily my conscious experience was previously so easily hijacked by my stream of thoughts. One led into another and then another and I'd be swept downstream in a random river of endless thinking and feel like I was identical to my thoughts rather than separate from them.

I prefer, now, to stand on the banks of the river of thought most of the time and see them for what the are: events arising in consciousness; not me.

It's liberating.

Scotty3 likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Steve

But how do you get in this space? Tried meditation, but still a million thoughts in my head, obviously doing something wrong

Mtr

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I think it's a matter of listening to your thoughts rather than just absorbing them and accepting them as fact. So many thoughts are unhelpful, untrue and emotion driven, but simply accepted because we don't have a filter. 'Standing on the river bank' as Steven says, let's you observe your thoughts as a bystander rather than being attached to them. When you're separate from them you can look at them much more objectively and effectively pick and choose, rejecting the thoughts that aren't helpful or true.

Catalyst and MTR like this.
  15. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

16. Steven Ryan

I used to think meditation was a "stress reduction" technique and thought I didn't need it and that is was kinda weird. In fact, I used to (ignorantly) make fun of it.

But after encountering study after study showing the massive benefits–scientists were finding it improved happiness, decision making, strenghtened neuronal connections and load of other stuff– I decided it might be worthwhile. I did some digging an realised that there was enormous benefit to be had so I committed to giving it a fair go.

That meant very dedicated practice, for as long as it took to see results.

I started out listening to guided meditation by Sam Harris (http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/mindfulness-meditation) and Jon Kabat-Zinn (he's done 3 x multi-CD programs). I did this for at least 30 minutes daily for more than a year.

I saw little impact for months but had committed to finding what there was to find, so I kept at it. Every day.

Then as I refined my technique and my practice improved, skills of observation got deeper, I started to find incredible benefits and things snowballed.

At my peak, I was practicing 10+ hours a week. Best time I have ever invest in myself. By FAR.

Then, maybe 18 months in, I went on my first 10 day Vipassana course (in the blue mountains) and gained a laser-like clarity in my "lens of observation". Haven't been the same since. It was gruelling, but profoundly beneficial.

I did a second 10 day course a year later.

And I still practice daily.

freyja, Blacky and MTR like this.
  17. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

18. Steven Ryan

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I find this fascinating. I am going to research this further.

Thanks

MTR:)

Steven Ryan and Blacky like this.
  20. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I will look into it more. I have had a go of meditation, but this was more like sitting (or lying) still for 30mins. Without any resources/training/education I didn't really know what I was doing.
    I too have read a lot on the benefits of this (and yoga style exercise). Unfortunately the only resources I have are web based - and its hard to learn something like meditation/mindfulness sitting watching a screen.

Thanks for the info - I would welcome more info about how you got into it and your 'journey' if you will. Maybe another thread?

Blacky

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia