Handyman vs builder for major reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mark, 3rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Just purchased an IP that requires major rennovation. Works include painting all the interior walls, polishing the floor, replacing kitchen and bathroom, replacing front stairs and a few doors.

I know an elder handyman who can do most of the work by himself except electrical, plumbing and floor polishing work. He can organize plumber and electrician. He charges me $40 per hour but can't give me a fixed price. It takes him 4 weeks to complete the work. I used the handyman on some quite small jobs and am ok with the works he did. Is it worth going ahead? Is it better to use a builder to get a fixed price? I talked to a builder and he told me that he can finish the job in 2 weeks. Thanks

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I would go the builder. If it's not much extra cost. At least you know they will just outsource everything to the correct trades.

Be careful with handymen. They say they can do it all but they end up doing a half ar$ed job I find. Especially painting! They all think they can paint but my 3 year old could do a better job!

ycdfdyan and kierank like this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I do agree but to play devils avocado, the builder will likely charge $65+/hr
    It's a juggling act to get the right person/s for the job

JacM likes this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

If you use a licenced builder they'll be insured for any major stuff-ups and have to warrant their work.. handyman won't be.

I'd skip the handyman unless you were very happy with his work. He's potentially costing you an extra 2 weeks rent as well!!

TerryN and Stoffo like this.
  5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Handymen can do anything but are crap at everything!

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I have that concern. It's probably better to pay the professionals who only focus on the areas they specialize in.

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the valuable advice.

8. bob shovel

Shop around and check their previous jobs. Builder will also put 10% on all trades he subbys out.
    Your perfect match may be out there :D

9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bob. As long as they do a good job, I am very happy to pay that 10%. How do you check their previous jobs? Photos? It's a little bit difficult to manage this reno remotely. I live in Sydney.

10. bob shovel

Propertymanager is a good start. Plus any websites or fb etc
    Also when you start calling around they'll let you know if they interested or do the work you're after