Handling incompetent tradesman

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 17th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Never ever work without a work order and written agreement of whatever needs to be done, described specifically and in a detailed form.

Get their insurance details.

Keep your own emotions out of business.

MTR likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I used a hammer drill for about 5 Min when doing my bathroom, a proper electric jack hammer while heavy will eat it up!! That 4.5m2 should take an hour!

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It makes you wonder what other jobs these guys are doing. Like you have a go yourself, go through a couple of bits and go stuff this, and call someone in. They come around with the same tool as you - despite you telling them you already tried that - go through a couple of bits and then tell you they need to go buy another tool. Professional.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They were landscapers so they should be familiar with busting up concrete, they probably underestimated the slate though

As for drinking and smoko, well take a trip to any building site and although you don'talways see evidence of what is being used it definitely is. Drinking and drugs is a problem through all of society and someone has to be doing it , you can't think it doesn't happen and their all happy tradies. Well actually they probably are happy! High on life ;)

5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

He walked all over you, got to toughen up and make the rules clear.
    Hopefully in future, you will give all trades prior warning that you won't accept any excuses.
    Also, best not to hire people you sense are going to be unreliable in the first place.
    Remember that you're the one hiring and paying them, not the other way around.

6. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Agreed, i have made it clear that if they are not at my house at 7am this Saturday to complete the job i will no longer be requiring their services.

7. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Attached Files:

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Open your hand, raise it to his throat, push him against a wall and say "thanks A-hole for mucking me around, here's a couple of hundred, give me a receipt and FO before my brothers in colors turn up.

9. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

I told the guy i no longer need his services and he was fine with it. I think he realized he under quoted and underestimate the job and was happy to walk away,

That said, i have another company coming to finish the job off. More guys, bigger machines and experience in lifting slate. They will be in Saturday morning, out late afternoon. Job done - thats their assurances. Its only about 14-16sqm of slate left to remove, not much all!

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I wish I could do that through the phone sometimes. The force...