Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Hand wash

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 28th Jan, 2016.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Being an IT person who spends a lot of time on his keyboard (and also a piano / keyboard player), I've always had a thing about having clean (as in, not greasy) hands - there's nothing worse than a greasy keyboard (computer or musical) !!

My daughter has bad eczema (which manifests itself as very dry, itchy skin), for which we are currently coating her from head-to-toe twice a day in Dermeze Ointment (paraffin) - which we refer to as "grease" because of its grease-like feel.

Of course, this grease gets into everything and doesn't wash out of clothes very easily - we all have special "grease" clothes we wear when applying it and our couch is permanently discoloured by it (we've given up trying to keep it clean and will just buy a new couch one day when we hope she grows out of her eczema).

I find that most hand washes don't do a good enough job of de-greasing and it's quite difficult to get rid of the greasiness from your hands afterwards.

For the past few years I've been buying Imperial Leather Citrus Grove hand wash because I like the scent (anything with a strong perfume makes me sneeze and my eyes itch), and I found it actually does a pretty good job of degreasing - much better than anything else I've tried.

Unfortunately, the supermarkets have recently stopped stocking most Imperial Leather hand washes and you can pretty much only buy the pump packs (not refills) at some pharmacies now. There's even a thread on Whirlpool for people trying to locate more stocks of this hand wash - it has a small but loyal fan base!

I'm happy to change to another product if I can find something which is pretty good at degreasing. The Dettol and Palmolive products currently sold by the supermarkets I find to be quite useless in this regard.

Soap isn't an option (not good for my daughter's skin) and we do prefer to less-mess option of a pump style hand wash.

Any suggestions on products which work?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hummm... Never has issue with oils so not sure about product. Have you try the likes of Aveeno and Dermacare? Maybe they have handwash

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've been using a pump style hand/body wash in the kitchen that I got at Kmart. Its bergamot and citrus and from recollection is soap free. Its very good degreasing and smells very pleasant.

It is a small range and not a known brand. @Coota9 can you go to the beauty section and find the range in the brown bottles. Its usually separate from the normal body washes and there is about 5 items in the range - body wash, body lotion, handwash.

I can't find a photo online.

Last edited: 28th Jan, 2016
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

I have what I think is the same one - it smells just like an Aesop one I had, really nice and much cheaper!

5. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Correct. I can't afford Aesop for the kitchen. I use aesop body wash in my shower :)

7. MsAli

MsAli Well-Known Member Premium Member

Although not related to your question @Simon Hampel, acupuncture may help significantly with eczema.

8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

My niece bought me mine, I love it! But would not normally spend that on handwash unless it was good for something particular, like Simon needs.

9. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Mechanics workshop hand degreaser?

Propertunity and Scott No Mates like this.
  10. monalisa

monalisa Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi @Simon Hampel

A dermatologist recommended QV soap free wash, and Dermaveen lotion - these worked great.

mrdobalina and EN710 like this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Back when I worked at BP on weekends at school we sold these little tubs of hand wash / degreaser (BP branded) which had a great lemon scent and little beads in it which was fantastic at getting engine grease and other stuff off your hands. Not sure they still sell it.

Either way, not really suitable for use in the bathroom though.

12. Simon Hampel

We use both of these as well.

13. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

BigKahuna and Mooze like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Thanks - I haven't looked in Kmart. Will see if I can find that at our local store.

15. Simon Hampel

Didn't realise they did a hand wash - I've only ever seen the soap blocks.

The description of it sounds very similar to what we used to sell at BP - wouldn't be surprised if it was the same stuff just rebranded.

Perp likes this.
  16. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember the soap blocks. Pretty sure the formulation in the liquid one is similar/identical.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We used to use a white gel which came in an orange tin. Can't recall its name either.

I'm with @DaveM - WD40 works wonders.

Seriously though, the best food grease remover is uncut Sunlight washing up liquid straight on the stain.

18. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Mooze likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have sensitive skin and get contact dermatitis from a lot of different soaps and hand washes. The best body wash I found was actually a Kids Bubble Bath, which is ph balanced and was only $2 for 1L.
    Woolworths Supermarket - Buy Groceries Online

For cleaning off any greasy, I use orange power. It only takes a couple of drops for hands. It does leave a residue though, so you will need a cleaner to remove the cleaner! :)
    Spot & Goo Dissolver Cleaner | National

For regular use, something like this might be more practical but you will have to test it on her skin first:
    De-Solv-it Citrus Cleaner

MsAli likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I've been looking for the blocks, but to no avail :oops::(

The liquid one is way too watery - I still use it because it is still one of the better ways I know of getting paint off my hands......but I would much rather have the old "stone" block back

The Y-man