Hamptons OR Coastal modern

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sa_Ra, 6th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Coastal modern OR Hamptons - what should we build?

1. Coastal modern

38.5%
  2. Hamptons

61.5%
  1. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Hello

We are planning to do a new build after KD of our post-war home in inner north Brisbane. Will be our PPOR for a few years and then might sell.

The suburb itself is a mix of pre-war Queenslanders, post-war oldies and new Hamptons. Contemporary/modern are very few and rare.

We are confused about which style to go for our new build and find it difficult to make a decision. We like both coastal contemporary/modern and Hamptons style but leaning slightly towards contemporary.

I see all the Hamptons being built and don’t want ours to be just ‘another Hamptons’. Also, not sure if Hamptons will be out of style soon.

With the coastal modern- not sure if it will look distinct, out of place and turn away some buyers. Or would it be appreciated as being unique??

Any suggestions? Should we play safe and build Hamptons OR go with our instincts and do the coastal modern?

Thanks!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

All style fads tire. Could be costly to fix later too. Its more than just (often horrid pastel) paint colours with white. Tends to use lots of timber. Thats a high maintenance cost and at the price of timber and labour perhaps costly to build.

Tufan Chakir, JacM and Sa_Ra like this.
  3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

As Paul has alluded to, styles with lots of timber on the exterior will have a lot of associated maintenance. I'm also not a fan of huge amounts of render for the same reason. Maybe try and choose a style that has a few different materials in the mix (eg brick, stone, a cute little acrylic weatherboardy section) to get the look you're after for minimal maintenance.

Propin and Sa_Ra like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it's for a PPOR then you have a lot more lee way and should go for something you love. I wouldn't go too eclectic but there is no need to go ultra vanilla on all your choices.

What Australians consider Hamptons is simply a coastal version of country - it's a nice pitched roof, it's some fibre cement weatherboard and it's some graceful lines that have echos in Australian homesteads over 100s of years

If you want to go contemporary then I would try and pick some elements that tie it to some houses in the street if you want to it to tie in a bit. That might be a colour element (a white wall if the Queenslanders are white), a red brick feature wall (if the post war are red brick) etc.

Sa_Ra and JacM like this.
  5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I like coastal farmhouse style interiors as it adds a bit of character to contemporary/modern style:
    upload_2022-6-6_18-44-29.png

Sa_Ra likes this.
  6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The "style" should derive from the design solution and response to your spatial requirements, the site itself and other constraints. Considering the "whole" will give you a superior result. But if you want to lay out a floor plan then add a facade/theme, like everyone else you will end up with a version of everyone else's taste and preference for this moment in time. As others have said - it will change. Try being a bit more bold and allow the design to evolve from the structure and other conditions I've mentioned. Look at "presents" to see how other designers have achieved results (talk to your architect about this). If you do want to them up - take a look at mid century modern (but late 40s to late 60s and still well executed and liveable design solutions)

Sa_Ra likes this.
  7. Engvester

Engvester Active Member

8. Snowy123

Snowy123 Well-Known Member

'pre-war Queenslanders, post-war oldies and new Hamptons'
    Is there any Character protection (style) council requirements for your street?
    If all the other houses tend to be weatherboard, then that is the classic look for the street anyway. A quality paint job will last longer than most people fashion preferences, is it so bad if the house benefits from a repaint in 20 years? perhaps yes, perhaps no. I've had a painter (new project home) tell me that for the price difference he will upgrade the paint used from project home spec to best of Dulux, best value ever.

I will say, classic Qld designs has always been optimized for living without air-conditioning, a mentality at odds with current regulations that are optimized for heat retention in the southern states. I will also add, the future is even more roof solar PV/HW. perhaps a simple postwar cottage style roof, with lots of solar panels will be a good investment.

One other thought, can you keep the postwar cottage as a granny flat, and build new next to it? perhaps move the postwar cottage to the corner. Some of the postwar cottages are very renovation friendly, and easy to lift/move even if just a couple of metres.

Sa_Ra likes this.
  9. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Thanks for the suggestions. No, there is no character overlay. One recently built house in the street actually has a modern look.

Retaining and/or renovating is something we considered but seems to be costly for the requirements we have. Hence the decision to build new.

10. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense. Will definitely keep that in mind when discussing with the designer later.

11. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Thanks. Yes, we are leaning that way and thinking we should go bold and do what we like personally.

Westminster likes this.
  12. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

Around here, Hamptons just seems to mean paying more for an inferior product (weatherboard etc). I don't get it.

Then there is all the scaffolding I see going up on homes around us to fix the render that has fallen off. More than a few homes... it's funny how fashions change. I still don't know what was wrong with face brick when it was the cheapest option. These days, it's no longer the cheapest but still seems to be the best value to me. But I know I'm in a small minority so don't take any notice if it's a flipping strategy.

Tufan Chakir and Sa_Ra like this.
  13. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Yeah, that is always another possible downside with these style of homes

14. BradM

BradM Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you should build what you love and what you're going to enjoy being in. If you build it exactly how you want, then there is going to be someone else that loves that too as it will be unique and stand out from the copy + paste of everything else these days. :D Good luck!

Tufan Chakir and Sa_Ra like this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing your approx budget .
    We are getting a quote to build at the moment but I think the quote will come in at $1.3m or above . We are going for a Mediterranean/ Palm Springs style . I’m in 2 minds as I hope building costs may come down over the next year or so but I fear they may keep climbing …

16. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Ours is still in initial design stages but targeting 900K-1M (hopefully!). We might still end up a bit higher with how the design turns up.

We are in two minds as well. Hubby says costs will come down mid next year with now supply chains stabilising, inflation peaking, building approvals declining and so on. I personally don’t think we will see a considerable reduction. It is a tough decision to make. We are anyways planning to tender only after 4-5 months. Let’s see how it goes.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  17. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Nice please keep us posted :) I will send you a pm with our facade render , it’s a different style to what you’d want I’d say buy doesn’t hurt to have a look :)

Sa_Ra likes this.
  18. Sa_Ra

Sa_Ra Member

Thank you