Hail Storm Damage Claim - Need advise on cash out

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jaik2012, 26th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jaik2012

Jaik2012 Well-Known Member

Hi,

My house (PPOR) had suffered roof damages during the hail storm in Dec last year. I have lodged a claim with the insurance company, it was approved but none of the repair works started yet. The firm processing the claims say that the builders are at capacity due to the multiple weather events and it may take longer. They have suggested me to opt for 'cash out' and organize my own trades for the works. I haven't gone this route before, so thought of checking with the folks here if anyone has experience in this regard.

Summary of work:
    1.) Fixing roof tiles (A team had already fixed some on temporary basis immediately after the claim was lodged)
    2.) Repair the roof and re-paint wherever applicable. Repaint for master bed, lounge room & living room. Repair and repaint for one bedroom.

I'm happy to share the whole scope of works document if anyone want to have a look at it before giving suggestions/advice.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

As long as over there and once etc you could borrow for this.

3. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I would get quotes from other trades for an estimate to ensure the "cash out" option would cover it.

I do think this is strange. The insurer should have other trades to the books to remedy the damage.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Keep pushing back on the insurer - it will otherwise take up your time and save the insurer project management costs.

A neighbour lost their house due to a fire, they had a replacement policy. The insurer offered a cash-out (to cut their own losses). It took quite a while but the house was replaced largely on a like for like basis (Californian Bungalow - double brick).

Jaik2012 likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be pushing to have the insurer do the repairs. They then have control and if there are problems, they sort them out.

Jaik2012 likes this.
  6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Not unusual for an insurer to offer cash after big events. A lot of people are happy to take the cash and look for a cheaper repair (often DIY) solution and pocket the difference.
    Is the property suffering more damage or have the leaks all been dealt with?

7. Jaik2012

There's no damage at the moment. Another hail storm hit us 2 weeks ago followed by continuous rain. No signs of leaks/damage on the house roof. So, I'm assuming roof tiles are fine.

However, 2nd hail storm punched holes on my patio roof for which a second claim has been lodged and is being looked into by insurance company.

8. Jaik2012

I didn't quite understand this. Are you saying I can borrow from the bank and repay from the cash out payment?

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Dont take the cash. If they cant get trades in you wont either without a high premium. Guy at work in Glenwood is still waiting after 8 month when he took the cash. Roof tilers are in VERY high demand. The contractor tradies are good at synching the whole team as a project. We had painters, tilers, sparkie all in and out in 2 days and all was done. We had some minor plaster quality issues and they came back to redo that and repainted it too....I dont think most tradies would be so obliging.

My insurer gave me a lifetime warranty too. (GIO Suncorp + NRMA). If tiles leak in same spot its their issue to fix not mine.

Jaik2012, wylie and willair like this.