Haggling with trades - do you?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 9th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"Cheap" and "value" are not the same.

Stoffo and Bayview like this.
  2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I know. I have gotten two quotes so far and they are both the same (difference of $500 for 8k of quoted work). In other states, it would probably cost half of this or less. Waiting on a third quote if it will eventuate. I don't think you can compare a place like Canberra with a bigger city with lots of competition.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Cash or not I always insist on a tax invoice or I won't use that company. I ask if they would prefer cash and supply a tax invoice and some give a discount for that. I don't mind either way. I just do whatever is easier for them.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As a garden maintenance contractor l have people "wanting" a cheaper price all the time.
    I can mow, edge and trim for $50
    The other guy said he'd do it cheaper at $25
    That's fine, l hope he does a decent job for that price !

Seriously, by the time l've driven 20klm to use my equipment for 40min, its not worth me getting out of bed for $25
    Seems it is a race to the bottom in too many instances :eek:

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

By the time you have loaded the ute you've done your $25

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would never haggle over a $50 job. The quote in question is 8k :p

Paul@PAS likes this.
  7. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

I don't see it much different to asking for a lower rate with a PM or an agent when selling If it is a one off job at least. If the quote is over the budget you set then you might be able to ask for a part of the job features to be downgraded or negotiated. If you are going to be using them often then they should offer a competitive rate anyway or they could lose your valuable business.

EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE I believe!

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Ask the question - Is there anything that can be done so that a lower cost can be achieved ? Its out of my budget.... I had someone suggest they do it on the weekend and I had to buy the lights rather than them. They were always busy with PM work midweek but Saturdays they were free.

9. NoShockElectrics

NoShockElectrics New Member

negotiating is fine aslong as its a bigger job, reno or something of the sort. dont try to push it too far or it will likely bite you in the ass.

10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It seems like getting people to even show up for quotes is like getting blood from a stone in Canberra. I think I have contacted at least eight people (included ones highly rated on Service Seeking and HI Pages as well as personal recommendations) and only two have resulted in quotes - the second required multiple follow ups to eventuate and was almost identical to the first anyway. You can see the quote in my first post in the below link. The only change is that i have decided to retile the floor rather doing the feature tile - this is 1k more (8k total).

Bathroom quote - opinions?

Given the seemingly very high price for the job, I was thinking to ask them if they can include retiling the toilet and laundry as well for the same price (same tiles). I'm not sure if this would throw them off and mean that I am left with no options. Does this seem like a reasonable offer for the price?

11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Any thoughts?

12. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

My 2c.....Trades have probably got too much work on anyway and did a high quote to see if you will bite....it's the same in Sydney.
    If you are not rushed get some extra prices for the job.....I reckon you could do all your areas for much less than this quote.
    As other posters have said, negotiate, ask if there is a cheaper alternative, try to make it as easy for the trades as possible.....but always have an idea of what is good work and what is not.
    You get what you pay for.....usually.
    I have had some shockers with bathroom waterproofing - easy job, just needs to be done carefully and with attention to detail - and don't let the following trades put holes in it for you!!!!!
    Good luck.

Last edited: 12th May, 2017
  13. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Canberra is the capital... of tradies who don't turn up, won't quote, won't do quality, won't finish on time, and won't charge what they said they would. I haven't been able to get under 3 of these with any trade other than a fencer (who only charged extra afterwards but at least did the others).

Word of mouth doesn't help/work. service seeking and the rest don't help. Even ex's of partner's don't work :eek::p...

I even had a tradie stealing ("but it was just lying around, I didn't think you would mind" - after inviting their mates around to take 2 tonne of firewood (about $800 worth)!)

14. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Definitely. I think if a few reliable good quality tradies came to Canberra they'd probably make a killing