Had another film shoot in my Airbnb yesterday

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 4th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Jacqui, that building has been listed with a location company called Big House for ages. Some shoots have come via them - usually commercials.
    But increasingly, people are using Airbnb to scout for locations - cheaper than going through someone like Big House. The ABC wanted our place for The Letdown last year, but they dithered around and lost the vacant booking slot. When they came calling this year, I told them they would need to make a decision a bit more quickly than last time.
    I also get people wanting to still shoots for fashion and stuff like that. The rate is less for those shoots and the imposition less, too.
    And of course film school students are always getting in touch. I let them have the space very cheaply if there are a few days available and I can be there to supervise.
    Lacrim, that island bench is three old drawer units a local high school were tossing out when they had their science labs renovated. We have a few more downstairs in the studio. The ones upstairs are screwed together and I made a top out of a huge piece of ply.
    There is plenty of parking in our street and our neighbours are very relaxed about that sort of stuff. For big shoots like the one this week, the bigger trucks are parked elsewhere.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our neighbours had an insurance company want to film in their driveway. They were approached by a scout who'd driven round the streets looking for a driveway big enough for their requirements.

It took a whole day, early until dark, with big trucks everywhere, food vans, cars, mayhem in the street. The finished advert shows their house for possibly three seconds. I cannot imagine what it cost to pay for the crew and equipment for one full day to end up with a "blink and you'll miss it" bit of footage that was used.

No wonder our premiums are so high. :eek:

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yes, it always amazes me how little of a location is often identifiable.
    In the early days of film things were not done on location. And in long running shows, sets are built because that is the most cost effective way to do it.
    The Letdown has 35 locations, I think, so the cost of building that many sets would be prohibitive.

willair likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You couldnt build a set as good as The Poolroom

upload_2018-12-7_15-56-44.jpeg

lixas4, craigc, Gladys and 2 others like this.
  5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

@Paul@PFI ... I went to an open for inspection that had a thoroughfare room and it was literally the pool room. It had items the family had collected... even some scary wax-like figures that attendees were getting their photos taken with. The vendor knew it was going to be viewed as a bogan-like pool-room so they rolled with it. They put a projector and a big screen in there and they had "The Castle" playing for the open for inspection. Every single person thru that room laughed :p:p:p:p:p:p

Paul@PAS and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I read the title and thought you had a gun shooting at your air bnb

carry on :)

JacM likes this.
  7. Greg McDonald

Greg McDonald Active Member

OMG I saw the title and thought someone got shot in your AirBnB rental.. got sucked in hard...

Looks like the guy above me did too. ROFL. Rename the thread its crazy deceiving.

I didn't read everything but looks like things are going well for you. Kudos to the unique idea of using AirBnB for photo shoots and making money from it. That's how we players play the game. Keep at it.

Cheers.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Done

9. Greg McDonald

Greg McDonald Active Member

Lol. Now it reads like you filmed the shooting! :D