Had another film shoot in my Airbnb yesterday

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 4th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

They bumped in with their furniture and dressed the space at the end of last week, then left it empty over the weekend and filmed yesterday. They arrived at 6am and worked till 7pm. Today they are bumping out and getting the cleaners in.
    They moved all my furniture out and all the artwork - they wanted the 'shabby chic' look. It was so odd coming home on Friday night and going upstairs to see what they had done. By now it would all be back the way it was - they would have taken photos before they moved everything. I'm looking forward to seeing the pad back the way I like it.
    I had forgotten the organised chaos of a big shoot. There were close to 30 people yesterday and a dozen small trucks and vans outside - including a generator truck. Down at the local park were some more trucks - the big ones. Along with the catering van. A mini bus collected the crew at 9.30 and 1pm and took them down to the park to feed them and then brought them back.
    Today the circus would be at another location.

Attached Files:

wooster likes this.
  2. Depreciator

This is how the space usually looks

Attached Files:

lixas4, EN710 and Kassy like this.
  3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Much neater and less cluttered the way you normally have it

Zoolander likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Much less stuff to dust the way it normally is.

Kassy likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Was this for a movie or TV show? Or for a documentary on unusual AirBnB places?

6. Depreciator

TV. Second season of an ABC comedy called The Letdown.

Redwing likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, having your place been shown as a Letdown.

Presumably, they paid for the minimum length stay plus a bonus?

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Glad you provided the 'normal' shots. What sort of person has a 40 year old typewriter taking up space?

Also glad to have the title verified as a film production. I was initially envious as my wife doesn't allow me to discharge high velocity projectiles indoors.

qak likes this.
  9. Depreciator

That typewriter lives in the space. One of our regular Airbnb guests (stays for a month every year) brought it home once. He found it when he was out walking and thought it suited the space.
    They used a fair few of the bits and pieces we had hanging upstairs and in the studio downstairs and in our house. The props person called me a few times on Friday to ask whether we had something or other. The funniest call was when she was running out of time and told me she was about to send someone out to get a cello for the character. I said, 'Yeah, we've got one of them.'
    Being ABC, it wasn't a high budget production, but they paid $2,500.

Gockie, Lil Skater, thatbum and 2 others like this.
  10. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I watched the first season of ‘the letdown’, I thought it wasn’t bad but I was also looking back at fairly recent maternity leave myself. It made me glad I didn’t bother with mother’s group. I’ll have to check out the next season now...

11. Depreciator

I don't think that was a typical mothers' group.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The letdown is a brilliant show. People can see season one on ABC iview.

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.
  13. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

love your work Scott! i have kayak envy

14. Depreciator

Ah, the kayak.
    There is a story behind most of the stuff in that space. I was looking for a canoe to take my kids fishing in and found that on eBay. Completely inappropriate for fishing, of course, but it was $127.50 and sitting under someone's house. I knew it would have been hand made and hated the thought of it rotting away under a house. So I bought it - and the handmade paddle.
    The woman who sold it said her dad made it and she gave me his phone number. I took it down to the Cooks River that runs between Marrickville and Earlwood and jumped in it. Boy, was it unstable. And that is not a river you want to end up in. I sat very still as the tide slowly took me in the direction of Campsie. When I made it back to shore - dry - I decided that would be my last trip in the kayak.
    The next week, I phoned the bloke who made it. His name was John and he was in his 80s. He was so chuffed someone had rescued his canoe. He explained that it is a racing canoe and more stable the faster you go - a bit like a pushbike. He asked for my address and sent me the instruction book and the huge printed plans for the canoe that he had mailed to him from London in the 70s. I'll frame them one day.

Angel, Gockie, qak and 1 other person like this.
  15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hadn't heard of it

16. Depreciator

I had heard of it, but hadn't watched it. So I watched a couple of episodes before the shoot. It's pretty good - won the award for Best Comedy Series at the annual Australian films and TV awards on Monday (I can't remember what they are called). They were all pretty excited on Monday when the announcement came through. The lead character is the writer. It's very well written.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Peeps who I know had their IP house used for internal shoots for MKR a few years ago ...Yeah not all kitchens are those kitchens are really theirs !! Apparently if its a crap house for filming they rent for camera angles and space for people to sit.

They didnt get much cause the production picked up cost of a kitchen makeover + some appliances (not dishwasher cause its not seen)

18. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

How did all this come about? ie How did they come to decide to use your place for filming?

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Where did you get that fantastic kitchen island..or I'm guessing, its been improvised from something else?

20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

So glad I wasn't your neighbour!
    I hope your crew were a bit more obliging than near us
    We regularly have 'the moviestars' in our residential area, generators going full tilt, in our usually quiet block, blocking access, just when I have a work deadline!
    GRRRR