VIC H&L in Outer Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gavin Ng, 7th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I'd go with something like the pic attached.

As for double storey I've toyed with the idea and I struggle to get it to stack up for a flick. If keeping it might work.

Attached Files:

teetotal likes this.
  2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Good builder, mycompletepackage.

3. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

It shouldn't add much other than a staircase and scaffolding cost, say $20k. But builders go to town and add a lot more. Less roof. Less slab. Just add posi struts and some more studs.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Double storeys are not great in Melbourne in general.....singles sell much better and have a wider market....I found this out the hard way...still made money but if I spent it on single I would have made more money.

Pentanol, Nash and Cactus like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Homebuyers product?

6. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Yes

Jasper 17

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Thought so...that is what build on the 12.5 by 21. But for a lot less...than HB...for under 180k turnkey.

8. Chris_R

Chris_R Member

Hi Sash, Is the price 180k for 3/2/2 inclusive of site costs?

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...but depends on where it is Western Melbourne slightly more due to reactive soils....in some areas....

10. Chris_R

Chris_R Member

Is it with standard inclusions or with medium level upgrades (meant 900 cook top, high ceilings etc).
    I am going to build for the first time and got following quotes for 3/2/2 (about 16-17 sq) turnkey. Eight Homes 195k, Sherridon 190k and Frenken 188k. Have you or others built with these companies before? Any feedback on these builders? Do you and other members who are experienced in new house builds have any builder who you could recommend me? I am building in Clyde and Armstrong Creek.
    You may pm me if you dont want to go public. Thank you

11. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

I ran the numbers on going double storey on my Officer build. Would of ended up approx 40k more expensive. End values would of given me a very similar margin to the single storey I'm building.
    Rental wise it would have been about $20-30 more per week...maybe.. so it really didn't justify spending the extra 40k.

I'll be doing a double on a recent land purchase in Point Cook. This will be a higher end home and going double will give a considerable increase in end value. This will be a CG play and flip. Yield on something like this will be crap.

Going for a double you'd definitely want a much higher margin over a single to justify the extra $$

SuperWoman, Cactus and Chris_R like this.
  12. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

I've used Frenken twice over recent years. They'll get the job done... a no frills builder and well priced.
    Would use them again.

Cactus and Chris_R like this.
  13. Chris_R

Chris_R Member

Thanks Connor.

14. werdna

werdna Well-Known Member

Having worked in volume building industry - I'd steer clear of micky mouse builders like Frenken... Quality homes are the key. If pricepoint is an issue with the other builders, maybe look out for limited edition offers from Metricon, Henley etc. where they offer single storeys for relatively good prices: 4 Bed + Study 20 sqs for $165k

Never decide on a builder judging off their base prices. Always get a quote and compare apples with apples. And ideally have site costs fixed if you're concerned about fill, slope, retaining walls, etc... Then make your call, judged on price/value/quality - according to whatever you prioritise.

15. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

^^^*base price quotes useless^^^

Larger volume builders can provide better value with their promotions, but like any marketing technique it's designed to get you to spend more.

4 free downlights when most houses need 6, free driveway, but only when you use their landscaping etc etc.

Smaller builders can usually be more accurate with end prices, as it's the sales person themselves that's ordering the engineering, the add on prices etc.

Where larger builders pass you over to the customer service upsizers for the add ons. "Oh you wanted a roof with that? Roofs aren't included in te base price'

16. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Agree with the others. Even for a home buyers like myself currently living in a double storey, I discovered that I hate the climb especially when you need to do it multiple times a day. So can only imagine what it will be like for older people. This means single storeys should appeal to a wider audience! Having two living areas could work for a multiple generation living or dual key for the two storeys though.

TiV likes this.
  17. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Haha exactly. Currently getting a very similar build quoted by a non retail volume builder.

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Father forgive them for they know not what they do.....:D

19. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I noticed that it is becoming more and more popular to have at least 1 bedroom downstairs on a double storey house. This can cater for older people downstairs, and younger people upstairs, and have all the room you need as double storey.

In fact, the most recent place we bought at Reservoir VIC has a bedroom downstairs. I thought that was pretty good.

larrylarry likes this.