Gyprocking dileama

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 1st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hello wiseones,

I hope you can help me out with something...

A mate and I are installing gyprock on a house that has 10 ft ceilings. My mate has done heaps of plastering but Im getting a plasterer set the plaster, we're just hanging it. We're using 1350 sheets which means there's an extra 300mm to add to the 2 sheets. I spoke to the plasterer and he said to do a full bottom sheet, a full top sheet and the 300 mm between the 2. We have done that but then there's one edge that isnt recessed at the join. ie one edge is recessed and the one beside it isn't. Because of this I'm worried that the joins will show after it's been set, sanded etc which is my pet hate. What to do????

Should I use a sander to kind of create a recess on the edge for the tape to go or just leave it up to the plasterer, who may just do the best he can and let us live with it? - it's our PPOR.

I know.... a novice mistake. Any advice?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

allgood allgood a good plasterer will do good job so your allgood.
    its easier to work with at that height.
    when they set it, theyll just feather it out further to hide the join.
    good to see you've made a start!
    what cornice?? dont say cove, i just had a rant on another thread #givecorniceachance

3. Allgood

Haha, as long as it's allgood! I'm hearing it now. "Bloody DIYers doing a half-arsed job and making the tradie tidy it up." I actually asked him to give a quote for the lot but he said he was too busy.

The other option was to put the 300mm at the bottom so all the joins are recessed together but my mate said it was too low to sand. Hope I've done the right thing!

Cornices, well I was going to say Cove, but now Im scared! :eek: No it's umm Pacific Look from Plasta Masta.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If your plasterer is busy and you did that to him he would have some free time! Pretty hard to set on the ground.

It happens to on vertical joints if you don't get long enough sheets.... I know where the join is, i hid it pretty well!

Can't do cove on 10ft ceilings! is this the original or an older type house on the farm?

5. Allgood

I just thought that if it was at the bottom it would be hidden by furniture, but yes, hard to join. Yeah I reckon the house is maybe 1940s but not like the olde grande manor.... more like a fibro cow-cockie campout! My grandad, uncle, dad and mum have all had their go at it, and now it's our turn! Probably should have just knocked it down and started again :mad:

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.