Guttering and Eaves Ideas / Advice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Auri, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Auri

Auri New Member

Hi All,
    I'm getting towards renovating the outside of my house and the guttering and facade definitely needs some updating!

What is everyone's thoughts on the following;

- Repair damaged patches and paint or just replace guttering around the house entirely?
    - Is guttering cheap?? (no labour required, I can install myself)
    - Paint or replace the eaves with similar colorbond like the gutters??
    - Thoughts on colour scheme of black or dark grey on dark red brick with similar roof colour (thinking of leaving the brick and not rendering)

Ok, discuss!

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Do you want to add a photo or are you asking for an entirely theoretical answer? :)

Whitecat and Joynz like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Are you experienced in installing new guttering? We had ours replaced a few years ago and the installers spent considerable time getting the fall correct so they
    drained properly.
    Marg

4. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I redid our PPOR roof on our character weatherboard home 15+ years ago.
    It took myself and an Uncle of mine an entire weekend to remove all the old concrete tiles & stack them out the front ready to sell, replace some rotten roof timberwork & then to cover & tie down with multiple tarps.
    The following weekend we rolled out & cut the insulation sheeting then screwed down the new colour bond roof & completed all the flashing.
    We spent the next weekend doing all the guttering. Fall is perfect everywhere except for one small area out the back that is furthest from its nearest downpipe. So I get some minor pooling of water in that area/so thats where all the dirt debris ends up/thats where grass & weeds begin to sprout if the gutters aren't regularly cleaned.
    It took me then another 2 weekends (by myself) to cut & fit all the downpipes, my Wife insisted I did them in circular metal to fit in with the character of the house. My cutting of circular pipe by hand & joining at angles with a fall probably gave my neighbours a language lesson at times that would have made a Wharfie blush.
    But it got done, its never leaked & looks absolutely wonderful.
    Would I ever do it again?....absolutely not !!
    By the time I was finished my hands looked like I'd fought off a frenzied knife attack.

To be honest, I nearly cried with relief, when the following weekend all I had to do was mow the neglected lawns out front & back.

Some things are best left to trade professionals & worth paying them for.

Phase2, Joynz and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Auri

Auri New Member

A photo would help! (See below)

Don't worry, I'm well aware of the work involved but I'm not replacing my roof, just the guttering. Good on you for replacing the roof though!
    I'm pretty confident on the tools so I wouldn't worry about my ability to do a good enough job - I just finished renovating my entire main bathroom (pictured to the left) on my own from building new walls right through to tiling an installing my glass shower screen.

So... any constructive comments would be great! thanks! :)

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

@Auri... did you press the "upload a file" and attach the pics?

Once attached then load then all as full pics. (I hate having to open the thumbnail attachments!)

7. Auri

Auri New Member

oops.. thought i did upload an image! Looks like nothing happened
    I'm new here so still trying to figure out how it all works..

outdoor house ideas.png

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

How about a silver, light grey or white roof? It should keep the house cooler.