Gutter downpipe missing?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Loverenting, 9th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

PM reports a gutter issue in our IP that has been purchased and leased out recently. She said a piece of pipe is missing at spout end and in heavy rain water shoots out and hits the neighbour's house (see picture).

I reckon the problem is legitimate but would like to hear more advice. What's annoying is that the building & pest guy did not pick up this in the pre purchase report a couple months ago.

What options for a quick fix do we have now?

Thank you.

Gutter Issue.jpg

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Get a roof plumber out to install a new downpipe? :confused:

Ideally to a legal point of discharge (your existing subsurface stormwater), if not, and the property is in a high rainfall intensity region (QLD) the stormwater will most likely cause damage over time.

Loverenting and wylie like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do that and just run it out 1m+ away from the house

Loverenting likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is it a missing down pipe or just the gutter end section missing?

If the latter, you can get a handyman to rivet and silicone in a new end piece. You buy them from Bunnings.

Loverenting likes this.
  6. Loverenting

Not very sure what is supposed to be there but isn't. The missing pipe was our PM's opinion.

Would also have to to re watch the building inspection video before I can tell if there was anything else hanging there at time of purchase.

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2016
  7. Loverenting

@Joynz, did you mean the down pipe could be in the other end of the roof thus I need to just close this end?

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That photo doesn't show enough to judge, I think. There is a link between how long that gutter run is, how many downpipes are out of picture, how much water that gutter needs to clear.

You might just need to cap that end, but it might be better to add a downpipe.

9. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Max length of gutter per 1 x downpipe is 12m as per the bca. There is a more intensive check in the Aus standard but 12m should be fine.

I agree with Wylie that it would be best to just add a down pipe.

The photo looks a bit odd. There seems to be a quad gutter with its end on ok, but the skillion roof goes into the gutter? And a box gutter fixed under which doesn't seem to be doing anything?

Loverenting likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I thought the bit underneath was a box gutter too, but looking for longer and trying to work out why there are two gutters, I think it is light reflecting off the end of the barge board and that makes it look like the open end of a box gutter. I think it is high gloss timber.

Edit: I've just looked again, and I've no idea if that is shiny paint on the barge board (or facia) or indeed the open end of a box gutter sitting under the open end of a quad gutter.

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked though :D.

If it is indeed a box gutter with a quad gutter sitting over the top, then that is very strange. But we had an even more strange set up in our house when someone before we bought left a run of gutter that went nowhere and was inside our roof cavity. It leaked a couple of times, and it took a fair bit of fiddly flashing to be able to redirect the water that used to get in there. It was very strange.

Loverenting likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes

12. Loverenting

Thanks @Joynz, @wylie and @vbplease for your useful observations and suggestions. I have rewatched the building inspection video which didn't pick up on this particular point but did show a downpipe in the nearest corner, just a bit further down along the pergola and the underneath timber desk toward the backyard. So my take from it is that there should already be a linkage from the gutter to that pipe and the subject end just needs to be well capped. Could still be wrong though.

Not meaning to steal your time but if any of you wishes to look further into my issue I would privately share the video for your viewing - you will see and hear the related commentary in the first 8 to 10 minutes and if you could come up with more insight / suggestions that would be extremely appreciated.

I will have our PM arrange the fixing but it does help if I know about the problem and can have an opinion on what needs to be fixed.