NSW Gunnedah

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Chocolate Soldier, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chocolate Soldier

Chocolate Soldier Member

I have an IP in Gunnedah purchased which I purchased in 2010, it's a basic three bedder ex housing commission. I'm just wondering what if any effect the recent news that the federal gov has approved the Shenhua Watermark coal mine near Gunnedah will have?

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/g...nment-minister-greg-hunt-20150708-gi7j65.html

Do you think it will have a positive effect on prices or will it not make much of a difference?

2. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Depends on a few things

Currently the libs are trying to push a free trade agreement through with the Chinese
    This would allow the Chinese to bring in their own workers for contracts over 150 million
    This includes licensed trades such as electricians

So if this happens the days of mining benefiting anyone but the company and the government are over - no flow on to the local economy

Also this mine will face tough opposition - it's not through yet
    Mining is state based

Wouldn't count on this mine getting up due to its location on Liverpool plains

3. Mr Damage

Mr Damage Member

I have an IP there and was cold called by another property manager. Apparently, construction companies have started looking for residential properties now. A cheaper and easier option to rotate workers through, than having to secure motels regularly. I guess that rents will rise as a result.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Looked into this area last year but the numbers didnt work for me and felt the risk was too high to be a good option.