Gumtree for Reno Materials

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Username86, 27th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of using Gumtree for selling and buying things. I'm wondering if anyone has used it for buying materials and the like for renovation projects.
    I'm sure there's great discounts to be found but in my experience you never get a receipt from the seller so how would you go about claiming the costs for expenses or capital improvements?
    Could you get them to sign a receipt book and would the ATO accept this or is there another way of proving the cost of goods?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have bought windows etc off Gumtree for my popr.

Am currently looking for wood/glass sliding door(s) for my IP (to fit a 1180mm x 2040mm and 776 x 2040mm opening if anyone has some they'd like to sell me!).

I'd just get a receipt from the seller. Otherwise, absorb the cost as you are saving much more than you'd get back on tax.

I imagine you could use the eBay receipts too - if buying off eBay.

3. Username86

Yeah I agree.. I would happily lose the deduction for a considerable saving.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Bumtree does my head in when I try selling things on there. So many time wasters and idiots you have to deal with.

ZephG likes this.
  5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I have found it to be awesome for picking up free/cheap Reno stuff. Got a s/steel dishwasher (working) for my ip kitchen Reno the other day for $50
    Got a house lot of skirtings off eBay for $60 which would have cost me over 1k if I were to buy them at rrp- they were 190mm high!
    Agree as a seller it's crap- no one turns up!

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Username86

I tried selling a cheap car some time ago and the amount of tyre kickers who expected a quality car for $400 was unbelievable. Between them and people that message at like 2 in the morning I ended up taking the add down.

7. Username86

So many awesome bargains hey! Did you ask for a receipt from any of the sellers?

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Plenty of dreamers out there. I put something on there a few weeks ago for $300, value is at least $800. Had three people msg saying tomorrow they are coming to pick up, not one showed. Others ask heaps of questions and then just give you a stupid offer.