Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Gum Trees

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Timwest, 24th Jun, 2016.

1. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Doing my Due diligence on a property that has 3 x gum trees in the back yard - they are about 6m away from the back corner of the house.

The sewer line runs along the boundary and should be out of the way of the roots. Some of the small branches are getting close to the house. The roof is made of tin and has gutter guards but seems to cop a beating from the leaves.

I am getting an arborist out to give me an assessment of the trees and if they have any deadwood that needs to be urgently removed, if so, I might get the vendor to do this before settlement or take it out of the price.

Does anyone know if building insurance might be more expensive with the tress? Would it be safe to factor in an extra $1500 per year for maintenance of the trees/roof. It is with Moreton bay council, the arborist told me that they will be fine to trim without permission and if they needed to be removed would just need to get an arborist to explain why they need to be removed etc

Love to hear any similar experiences. Pics of the trees below

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Nice trees. Natives in healthy condition may not be easy to get removed depending on council.
    Give youi a call for a quote, pretty sure they ask if there are trees on the property

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Horrible trees. Unless it's an awesome deal move on. People underestimate the amount of money trees can cost you on an IP.

Mumbai likes this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Under Native Assets Local Law (NALL), I would be surprised if you are allowed to remove such significant (native) trees.

You should be able to prune 15% to 20% of the foliage each year without any issue.

Best to check with MBCC.

5. Timwest

Its a pretty good deal. I will factor in 10k for future removal of the trees. Do you think 2k per year would be safe for maintenance of the trees?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I can't imagine you'd need to prune them every year! Ask an arbourist to be sure.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2016
  7. bob shovel

You won't need to trim your bush but it will lose some leaves and branches. .. hopefully over the neighbour's side ;)

datto and jim1964 like this.
  8. Timwest

Would hope the tenants would be proactive in cleaning. Would probably get a handyman to go clean the yard and roof every six months if they weren't.

9. Timwest

Yeah I wouldn't think so either maybe every second year. I'll see what he says. Might be up for some roof patching if a branch damages the roof, Tin is fairly easy to repair though.

10. bob shovel

Make sure the pm is onto reminding them.

Once you start the tenants will expect it. To stay with just get the pm to do a thorough check during storm season in that area

Timwest likes this.
  11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am not an arborist but you could always bang a hole in the underground roots with a large nail and pour in some battery acid :) :).

Apparently, the trees become well behaved after that.

Timwest likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The trees are your responsibility. You cannot expect a tenant to get up on the roof to clean out gutters. Any fall and you will be liable.
    Marg

kierank, SerenityNow and Joynz like this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the gutters on my IP. It's potentially dangerous and I can't imagine a tenant doing it regularly unless for a rent reduction. Would they even have a ladder?

To me, it seems like building maintenance - I.e. A landlord's responsibility. However, if a tenant offered, I wouldn't say no. The last tenant unblocked the garage gutter.

14. wilbertrose

wilbertrose New Member

What type of gutter guards do you have? Maybe you need higher quality guards. It might be worth calling Leaf Smart, Leaf Man, Aussie Gutter Protection or similar.

15. jim1964

jim1964 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good Luck with that !!!!!

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I recently took out a gum tree for a client.
    They loved the tree when they built the house, fast forward 20 years and even though still ok it was losing the odd twig (2' dia dead branch), it was a MONSTER (68ft) it is now a 4ft dia stump.
    I do a few bits and pieces for her, older widowed pensioner, $3,000 (should have been $5k)

So, think about how long you want to keep the property
    , also research local council laws as it may be that they cant be removed.

Insurance, think property valuation (at home the trees hanging near the house de valued it apparently...........)
    Good luck

17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd shoot some slugs into those trees...........they don't call me dirty datto for nuffin.