GST on subdivisions

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Stannis, 30th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stannis

Stannis Member

Hello all,

Got a bit of a pickle with good old GST if I was to subdivide off a rear block of an IP and sell it off.

High level goes like this:

I'm looking to buy an existing dwelling on a piece of land, subdivide it, sell the house and the newly made vacant block. I intend to buy it in a Coy structure (and not live in it). DW about the structuring part, only focused on GST.

I am told that the front house does not have GST applicable to any profit made because its an existing dwelling (or words to that effect).

I am told that the rear vacant block will have GST applicable (expected to sell for about $300k).

The formula I am told to use is that the vacant land needs an apportioned amount of value assigned from the initial purchase. So say the initial purchase was $600k, and I resell the front house for $500k.

Then you could say the rear block was 'bought' for about $100k (plus minus some of the sub costs).

Then selling for $300k, the GST would be 1/11 x ($300k-100k).

Anyone had to go through it before and have a rule of thumb?

Really eating into the profit margins, hence why I'm getting specific. I did message Terry W to see his response, be great to hear from anyone else.

Thanks

Stannis

2. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

no tax expert but would love to see @Terry_w response here if not covered before

3. Meteor

Meteor Member

hi, i'm no tax expert either but i would've thought the GST would apply to the $300k as you probably wouldn't have paid any GST in the initial purchase and therefore can't claim any GST to reduce the GST payable

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Agree with Terry thats no way to calculate the cost for margin scheme. I would consider a valuer is required to apportion the historical CGT costbase between the two elements of land. There is a tax strategy in this process which could save some tax BUT it comes with a cashflow issue.

Selling off the old house first may assist with cashflow.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.