GST and development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Xsi, 17th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xsi

Xsi Well-Known Member

I know that there are already a few threads on this topic, but hopefully someone can answer my specific scenario.

I have an IP that I bought about 1.5 years back. I have a long term plan to redevelop into 3 townhouses. I am not a developer/builder(ie not registered for GST to that effect). If/When I redevelop, my current plan to retain all 3 townhouses. My understanding is that GST does not apply if I sell after 5 years of development. My questions are-

1. Will GST apply on sale if I sell one or more townhouses prior to 5 years(sale due to change in personal circumstances)?
    2. When does this 5 year period start(guess is from date of issue of occupancy cert)?

GST would change my rough calculation for the planned development and hence the questions. Thanks in advance.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Look up GST margin scheme for a good start.

3. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

Speak to an account to confirm, but I believe
    Yes, GST will apply, given it is an IP.
    It needs to be 'continuously rented for five years', so would start when it is tenanted.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sackie and Perthguy like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.