Growth Data Sources Providing Different Results

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by legallyblonde, 23rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Now that I am working full time (yeah), I am taking investing more seriously. I have started checking out growth averages over 10/5/3/1 year/s looking for trends or signs of uplift... My only problem is, at this stage I am using free resources but they seem to have different results. I am not sure which one is more accurate. Does anyone know why these numbers would be so different? Any thoughts on which one I should pay more attention to?

For Example:
    I bought IP1 on a whim in Blackmans Bay TAS and looking at the following statistics I am really confused. I am lucky that I LOVE maths but this is doing my head in.

According to YIP the figures are: 10 year: 3.04% 5/3 year: 2.04 and 1 year 4.94

According to RE.com: Compared to the same period five years ago, the median house sales price for houses decreased 2.9% which equates to a compound annual growth rate of -0.6%.

According to homesales.com.au: House prices in Blackmans Bay have grown by 6.32% in the past 3 years and -1.48% last year

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Either stick to one source for all your analysis, or if you want to go deep, average multiple sources but always use the same sources.

API and YIP are the two I most closely pay attention to.

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

It has just occurred to me that the RE.com ones might be showing negative growth due to being adjusted for inflation?

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

The RE data is direct from RP Data (CoreLogic) so I don't imagine it would be inflation-adjusted.