Growing trees or shrubs in a townhouse?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by einentiva, 29th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. einentiva

einentiva Well-Known Member

Hi Pcers,

I was just wondering if there is any limitation on growing trees or shrubs heightwise or proximity to the fence line in a townhouse Courtyard?

Need it mainly for privacy reasons.

The property is in Sydney

Any feedback would be appreciated

2. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

For privacy i keep clumping bamboo in pots and the ground, very fast growing to 3 or 4m .

Other plants like Murraya Photinia are ok. Lilly Pilly is popular too but i have no luck with it

Might have to email/talk to the strata manager or check the bylaws Re plantings

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

For too many years not enough thought has been put into plantings (think council planting gum trees under/near powerlines).
    There's a few threads here even questioning council liability for bamage to driveway/drains/pool by council tree's (answer most often is council are not liable).

Keep anything you plant in a pot ;)
    This way it won't lift tiled area's, push over a fence or get into any drains (so you won't be deemed liable).
    Added benefit is you may be able to take these with you when you move (yep, life can change) :rolleyes:
    Looks like I'm moving soon, so glad many of mine are in pots, not easy to move/sell stuff like this if it's planted 20211227_094828.jpg

Maplesmatta likes this.
  4. einentiva

einentiva Well-Known Member

thanks for the ideas growing in pots sounds like a great idea!