Growing Grass

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Ryno, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Hey Guys

so I had work done to my back yard and basically my once green backyard is no flattened dirt due to all the bobcat work digging that is now complete.
    I was going to lay new grass about 100 rolls I need due to the size of my yard however some people all I need to do is aerate the soil apply a top soil and lawn builder and grass will eventually grow back.

just after any advise on the best method to having my lawn back to looking good again.

cheers

ryan

2. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

If all that has happened to the lawn is that you dumped soil on it then it is the case of growing back. Unfortunately when running a bobcat around they have a tendency to dig in and basically plow up the yard big time.

The question is how much of the old lawn do you have left.The grass will regrow but does it slowly. If you top soil and then plant runners this would speed up the effort but you can't beat turf and 2-4 weeks to an instant lawn.

Ryno likes this.
  3. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Can you provide a photo?

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

@datto will be so disappointed to read this thread isn't really what it first appears to promise ;)

Paterson00, neK, Beanie Girl and 3 others like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

And I was going to provide some helpful hints eg 18 hours on, 6 hours off. Oh well.

Marg4000, Beanie Girl and Bran like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Topsoil to level and fill holes, aerate prior if needed.
    Pull out some runners from the existing grass if you can, or get some grass seed to establish the dirt areas quicker
    Depends on the damage and grass type

7. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Lots of water

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What type of grass is/was it?

If couch (or sim) the root system will be deep enough to recover, just needs leveling out, apply some organic top dress and wetting agent, good soak with seasol (relieves stress), keep the water up to it.

If buffalo (or sim) its more a slow growing swallow ground runner, can do the same as above, relocate some runners etc.
    However if covers urgent rolls are the way to go.

9. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Il take photos today when I get home from work. Its just kikuyu grass I was happy to lay new grass but just thought id ask.

@datto I always thought it was 16 on 8 off lol.

Beanie Girl likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It's been a while @Ryno

Beanie Girl likes this.
  11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but if you plan on getting a gas line installed, do so before you landscape. I got a line installed to an old property that never had gas, came home from work to discover they had built a crusty demons of dirt circuit in my front garden. I have no idea how on earth they needed to ruin my lawn that much to install a gas line.
    Thankfully I had planned to landscape after so wasn't an issue but if I had done it in reverse my amazing laid lawn would have been annihilated.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@albanga get Them back to fix it. A simple gas line shouldn't destroy the place!
    I'm guessing they used a dirty big excavator combined with cowboy operator and screwed up the lawn

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Ok. I am going to DIY laying turf. What grass would you recommend that requires less maintenance and hardy?

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Regardless of type the most important part is prep, what you lay it on, which depends on the soil conditions etc in the area.

As for type, would depend whats grown/available in your area, try to find growers, buy direct, they'll know what you need.

larrylarry likes this.
  15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I just posted elsewhere in response to @Hodor that I may not have the time to do it...