Grow Capital First

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 29th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

It would be fair to assume someone with such a high passive income would hold at lease some form of commercial property, unless he is secretly NB.

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes it is about that as there a various additions (depreciation) and deductions to reach this number.
    Tax is based on many things like the country the income is generated in eg NZ 28% HK15% and also the end beneficiary who has the lower taxation rate and future benefit of the surplus imputation credits

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes mainly commercial
    No developments
    No renovations
    No flips
    Just hold

brandontp, Observer, House and 3 others like this.
  4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

One hundred K plus can easily turn into $50k negative if you lose a tenant or two plus you also need to reduce principal from the profit too!
    When you are making no money (due to no tenant) that is when the Real Estate agent will ask to improve the premise for the next tenant and the next tenant will ask for free rent and a contribution to their fitout ....hence $100k pa is far too small

Last edited: 20th Jun, 2016
  5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

It's not any skill when the bulk of the properties have been purchased with 10% loan (in the 1990's) and the interest rates are now 4%
    Your profit has gone from a 2.5% margin (Yield 12.5% Cost 10%) to 8.5% plus (12.5%-4%) Bingo profit goes up 3.4 times before rent rises ....no magic skills from me!

brandontp, House and Perthguy like this.
  6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Still its ****ing impressive. Not everyone can achieve that given they had the means too.

Congrats. I want to be your student :D

7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Is that for yourself or for your family ? Lifestyle can sometimes be a luxury - for me i know i can lower my lifestyle and live on less than a 1-1.5k a month. i went from going overseas 7-8 times first/business class last three years to europe etc to just eating toasted bread and jam or salad for dinner.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its family, children's education/uni etc, living abroad and giving them a leg up.

We also pay for ongoing renovations we have a period home costs a fortune to maintain, we just got pool installed.

We also now rent a home in Melbourne and spend time in both States as daughter now lives in Melb.

You cant take it with you and everyone has different goals whatever suits.

We also know there are some on this forum who reached financial freedom live a great life with much less. All to their own.

MTR:)

9. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Curious why you would "need to reduce the principle"? Would you not keep this revolving, and with growth in be underlying property value in any case not need to reduce?

Also I see any paying off of principle as making a payment to to yourself. I don't view that as an expense.

10. big max

Nice. Those were the days. Before my time im afraid, but good opportunities are always out there ...

11. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

@Beano,

To say that what you have achieved is "not any skill" is unnecessarily humble. 1.4m net pa in income is certainly not fortuitous happenstance.

I suspect this ranks numero uno in the Somersoft / PChat community.

Immensely impressive and extraordinarily well done!!

Regards,
    Greg

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

yup - everyone needs to live a little - i just wear more when it is cold in melbourne rather than on the heater and my dog does the same :) to save some $$

upload_2016-6-20_14-56-26.png

brandontp, Archaon, Observer and 3 others like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

nope... Handyandy... Cabramatta King;)

14. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

1: principal With commercial properties the banks insist on principal repayment until it reaches a "safety" level for the bank. This can be about 45% LVR this generally has to be reached prior to the end of the lease. When the portfolio has a good spread of tenants that regularly renew then a lower WALT (weighted average lease term) is acceptable and principal reduction are not required.
    A new valuation from a registered valuer and/or a new or renewed lease also may allow principal payments to be suspended
    Residential the banks update the values without the need for a registered valuation so principal payments are easier to suspend
    Yes I treat these as payments to me not as a expense so don't mind making them

brandontp and Perthguy like this.
  15. big max

Got it.

Most of my properties don't require payment of principle (all are residential). I guess though if you see no other investments around then paying of a loan is always a "can't go wrong" type place to put your money.

16. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes correct
    I actually asked the bank how they calculated the security two months ago and the spreedsheet they sent was very interesting
    Residential they periodically updated themselves using e valuation
    Commercial using the registered valuation i had submitted
    Some were over 20 years old
    They said if i was willing to get new valuations they would adjust their valuation
    But note we have to use one of their bank approved "panel valuers".
    So there are 2 ways of getting money out of the commercial properties. Earlier principal payments and new valuations

Cousinit and brandontp like this.
  17. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

@Beano
    Out of curiosity, how many properties have you collected in your portfolio to generate 1.9m passive income?
    Btw, congratulation on such an accomplishment.

MTR likes this.
  18. big max

And another question - are you now full time "retired" and living the good life?

19. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

@big max way to many questions to ask if only @Beano willing to share a lot more.
    I can be his apprentice:)

big max likes this.
  20. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

11 Commercial 37 Residentials

rook2017, Curious2019, PeterW and 8 others like this.