Grout in shower

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Firefly99, 28th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Thought I’d ask on here as there as someone will know! I noticed that there is a gap in the grout in the shower base - our house is about 7-8 years old. Is this as issue? I’m worried out water getting under the tiles. If so would I just get a tiler to fix it? Thanks.

2. Firefly99

Here’s the pic

Attached Files:

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That looks almost like foam expansion rather than grout.

If it is grout, I'd definitely push more into the tile gaps to ensure water isn't getting through.

4. Firefly99

It goes look like foam! It’s grey grout and wet so it looks darker than it actually is. I’m worried there is water under there… maybe I can dry it out with a hairdryer, leave it for a few weeks (use a different shower) and then push more grout in…?

5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

There are grout repair companies that are reasonably priced to rectify this issue for you.

Firefly99 likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby cut back the white silicone in the corner of our new shower due to some mould that we could not clean off. He left plenty of silicone (he thought), but a week later I was in our garage and saw drips from the shower (luckily we have an unlined garage under the bathroom).

The water was getting through the silicone where floor meets wall tiles. We allowed it to dry out for a few days (from memory) and added new silicone. Problem fixed.

So your plan to let it dry for a few days and add more grout should work I think.

Firefly99 and charttv like this.