WA Grid variance analysis software.

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by BandDFizzle, 4th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BandDFizzle

BandDFizzle Member

Hi all,

New to the forum, this is my third post including my introduction!

I've heard and read mixed reviews on various grid variance analysis software packages. Wondering if any of you would care to share your thoughts and experiences of packages or free methods for doing it?

Thanks,

Brendon.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sounds like those things that pick winners at the giddy ups.
    All those were scams.

How fresh is the data ?
    Past results are not a reflection of future results.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Obviously a big concern to many on PC.

Q) What is grid variance and how do you analyse it?

a) A grid where the lines are quite parallel/perpendicular
    b) Refers to the normal grid layout of streets and how block size varies
    c) A way of analysis loss of power on electricity grids
    d) What @Paul@PFI said.

:confused: - my brain hurts.

4. Paul@PAS

I look at the girls at the car races. The grid girls. They all look OK to me

#Metoo

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

6. BandDFizzle

BandDFizzle Member

With respect, has anyone got anything beyond just derogatory comments??

Check out the link above. While the guy in the video isn't particularly exciting to listen to, his explanation of the software and the reasons for its use sends to have done merit, logic and technical expertise behind it.

If it does what it says, then it helps to identify potential opportunities and removes some of the emotional aspects of selecting property in certain areas for development purposes.

Potentially very useful, yes, no, scam, discuss? Or tell me how you go about selecting investment properties? Like I said, I'm new to this, my mind and ears are open, . Just trying to build a better life for my family.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've never heard of such a product before and whilst it looks interesting I personally dont believe its needed and see dangers. The software appears to basically want to automate development due diligence with clicks of buttons. If someone ( especially a newbie) is purely planing to use this approach then I'd be giving it a pass.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

There is a lot of experience on PC. I would be considering if the so called "black box" software is really just a fancy dressed up way to milk you of money. Black-box scams are essentially something dressed up to be sophisticated that alludes to making perfect decisions. One well known property spruiker was flogging this type of software a few years back. Like all scams it has the appearance of complexity and certainty in producing results - But that cant be proven.

Its like share picking, horse racing, currency and many other variants. If it works so well why isnt everyone doing it ? If I had a magic genie in a box I would be keeping it to myself and finding investors to help produce profit endlesslyand take a cut of that..... Thats leverage. Or is there more money to be made by flogging the software to gullible people ?....Like magical tea (Peter Foster style)

The principles and logic is very sound and Michael Lewis wrote a wonderful book on how he scammed wall street in the book Liars Poker using similar principles. But I will always question how the black-box is written. Is it good, bad or just rubbish ? You will only know with hindsight. Thats the element of the scam you may regret.

Google black box scams

9. BandDFizzle

BandDFizzle Member

Thanks for your input, I don't expect that it would replace due diligence, but may help identify areas that are worth researching in more detail while eliminating wasted time on bad areas.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Perhaps it will. You'll never know unless you try it . Though personally I think its really not needed and doubt its usefulness.

11. BandDFizzle

BandDFizzle Member

12. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

There probably is some value in data analysis but this is very narrow. Why don't you learn how to do it yourself? Wouldn't take much to do. Then you can back test your theory.

BandDFizzle likes this.
  13. BandDFizzle

BandDFizzle Member

So thanks for your opinions, appreciated! As a complete newcomer what books/methods should I be reading up on to help me research credible opportunities?

I don't have anything in the pipeline yet, just taking my first steps in study and research. I am subscribed to the "Perth Property Show" podcast and will be talking with my broker shortly to workout my financial position.

Initially I want to increase the equity in my own home to provide a better foundation for borrowing against future side by side or front and back style sub division opportunities.

Cheers,

Brendon.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You got so much feedback in this thread from experienced investors.

I "R" much good property investor!

BandDFizzle likes this.