Greetings from Another Brisbane Newbie!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jordy, 6th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jordy

jordy Active Member

Hi Everyone, I am Jordan and I have been a long time lurker on these forums and over the years have been learning and understanding all aspects of investing.
    I came across this site ( Somersoft) when I was googling Nathan Birch years ago as I was curious to see any feedback on his company.

My short term goal is to invest in property in good yielding areas with good capital growth opportunities. I do not see myself doing this as a full time job but if I can build a portfolio up over the next 15 years and be in a position to retire at 50 than happy days! I would also like to learn more about minimising tax.

I am currently 28 years old, happy married with a 8 month old boy and we live in the Augustine Heights/Brookwater area.

Our situation currently

PPOR $650k Value- $450K Loan P & I
    IP 1 $480k Value- $340k Loan IO Rented out at $430 Per week
    Have $50 000 in savings which we will use for IP 2

Currently Kallangur, Narangba & Gold Coast has caught my eye but I am still doing my research, I really do love the Greater Springfield Region however I do think there is a over supply at the moment.

Looking forward to continued learning from you all.

Jordan

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2016
    Whitecat likes this.
  2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Welcome @jordy. Nice portfolio so far!

Lots of folks are buying in and around Bris so it helps that you're local - if you can find some time away from the family to check out properties on the ground it will help a lot :)

Any reason you want to use cash savings for your deposit when you have ample equity and would benefit by more deductible interest and a greater remaining cash buffer?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. jordy

jordy Active Member

Thanks Steven, Its actually 650k value for PPOR. I might speak to a broker soon and establish the best way to go regarding my equity position

I am thinking 300-350k for IP2

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@jordy, I agree with @Steven Ryan.

With $200k equity in your PPOR, you should be able to borrow at least $160k as a separate loan and use this to cover deposit + buying costs for IP2.

Then, assuming it isn't borrowed funds, you could put the $50k cash in an Offset account linked to your $450k PPOR loan and save yourself some non-deductible interest plus have these funds available as a reserve/in an emergency

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Yep, have a chat to one of he great brokers on Property Chat - they'll be able to give you an idea of your options including borrowing capacity, how to structure things and how to get from IP2 to IP3 and beyond.

$300-$350k is a popular price bracket - a big portion of my clients are buying houses in this range, generally returning around 6% rent :)

Whitecat likes this.
  6. jordy

jordy Active Member

Some great advice guys, I am so glad to have discovered this forum to give me some guidance.

7. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Steven is a very skilled and ethical broker...highly recommended

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment of Springfield. Stay close to train. See what you can get close to rail in Burpengary. Is not getting as much attention as kallangur and that might play to your advantage.
    500m to 900m to train is ideal.

Where are your other IPs?