WA Greenfields vs Brownfields?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SarahJ, 16th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

First home buyer here in WA and would like to get some advice.
    I recently started my research on builders and, being first home buyer, I made enquiries with builders who offered home and land packages. Spoken to one of them (celebrations) and was told that they only build on greenfields (new estates?) and not brownfields (established suburbs?).

Can someone advice on what the difference is? I was shown a list of suburbs they build and they were all new estates. Am i allow to buy land in an established old suburb and build on it? Do they have different requirements comparing to building in new estates?

Any builders to recommend for building in established suburbs?
    Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Brownfields are established suburbs, well located, transport routes, community, schools, reputations etc. New suburbs have a vision.

Of course you can. It takes a more skilled builder.

There's more money to be made by the builders/developers in new estates - money on the land & also for the build vs having to deal with existing services, footings, disturbed earth on established suburbs.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Damn.... and here I was thinking brownfields were located near sewage treatment plants.... :oops:

The Y-man

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nah, those are extremely green fields.

[​IMG]

This is one near Windsor (Hawkesbury Council)

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Greenfield is easier. Navigating different building paradigms / eras / problems is hard - you need some skill, or motivation.

Skill is probably lacking in many cases. But in this day and age where demand is red hot, it's probably more motivation - they can't be assed. Why take on a job that's brutally difficult when the next job is a piece of cake and only paying a tiny bit less.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Are you sure you want to build your first home? Pretty rough time out there at the moment looking to build.

Lots of extra costs and delays. I wouldn't expect something finished in under 2 years in many cases.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

At the moment many builders are at over capacity so are probably being very choosy about what they will build hence the new land estate only from that builder. New land estates have some different design codes already written in so it's easier to go straight to building permit and not need a DA. With infill (or brownfield) in established suburb it's more likely you'll need a DA which takes time and resources up

However it's not a good enough reason to not go with infill/brownfield as it can have superior capital growth in the long term.

As others have advised, it's not the best time to start a construction project because construction prices are increasing and there are many people being sent increase invoices that just aren't in their budget and then you're left with a block of land and no house as you can't afford the house.