Greed vs Aggressive Action

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 11th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Xenia
    Well said, I feel the same way.

It's a forum, live and let live, no point judging, and we will all be wrong for sure. I don't know you, you don't know me...:)

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The tribe has spoken.

However, I do not concede that most people are unsuccessful nor that having more than 2 properties necessarily makes you more successful.

BigKahuna and MTR like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

we happen to be on a property forum, but in the real world success has nothing whatsoever to do with property.

BigKahuna likes this.
  4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I took a break from that group for a few years and recently returned to a very different way of educating and promotion. And an obvious taboo subject that has turned many lives upside down. From what I hear, it was very difficult for those in the inner circle to avoid such intense encouragement to invest in mining towns. I'm sure that you have some very anxious people waiting for your book release.

5. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

What does success mean to you?

Its interesting how everyone has such a different definition. To some people, success is having a family, to others its having a good job. We are such funny creatures, humans.

Hope you all had a good christmas break.

BigKahuna, MTR and Sackie like this.
  6. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Oh yes, a very taboo subject. It was a collectively created problem, and I believe, collectively we can resolve and evolve from it. Wrote the book for my own healing, the success is having the courage to publish. Hope you had a good christmas break @beachgurl

7. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

Some posts just jump out at you..... this was one.

You may want to re-read the Biases thread - particularly

#19 - Survivorship Bias - The successful tend to write the mindset books & the autobiographies because whatever they did just happened to work for them - and consequently they are at the extreme right hand end of the bell curve.

The effort & luck they made doesn't necessarily translate into the same results for their readers. There are very few at the opposite end of that curve who perhaps made similar efforts & had the same mindset (but didn't get the same luck) who broadcast their story.

... and ...

#11 Outcome Bias. The successful are almost always judged by their results, and v. rarely by the decisions they took on their way there. Some of those decisions would have been extremely high risk in order to achieve the rewards. Luck plays a very significant part in extreme outcomes, regardless of the mindset or effort put in.

Whenever you read autobiographies of massive success, try to apply some critical thinking - at every paragraph think of the tiny things that could have gone differently that would have massively affected the outcome & relegated them to the opposite end of the curve.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

[QUOTkeithj, post: 128478, member: 8"]

#19 - Survivorship Bias - The successful tend to write the mindset books & the autobiographies because whatever they did just happened to work for them - and consequently they are at the extreme right hand end of the bell curve.

I agree that just becasue it worked for 1 person or more than 1 person, doesnt necessarilty mean it is going to work for everyone. For me, the value i get from those types of books is not so much the 'system or path' someone took to achieve their success, but rather the character, traits, habits, beliefs etc that they had to develop along the way. Also the challenges they faced and how they overcame them. I personally find much value in all that.

The effort & luck they made doesn't necessarily translate into the same results for their readers. There are very few at the opposite end of that curve who perhaps made similar efforts & had the same mindset (but didn't get the same luck) who broadcast their story.

Probably also true. Personally i rather read more than not. The book you dont read can't help you. thats my own attitude.

Luck plays a very significant part in extreme outcomes, regardless of the mindset or effort put in. We'll have to agree to disagree here mate. There are many deals i have undertaken where i think the outcomes were extremely in my favour, and i dont just think it was significanlty due to luck. Some, definetly yes 'luck' was a strong factor, but not all.

Whenever you read autobiographies of massive success, try to apply some critical thinking - at every paragraph think of the tiny things that could have gone differently that would have massively affected the outcome & relegated them to the opposite end of the curve.

I agree with you here too.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2015
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hang in there, no biggie :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'm beginning to think it's more of a bee-hive at the moment.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Bee-hive yourself!

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I think luck plays a large part in investing. That's my way of rationalising success. Imho believing there's something bigger than me in the process keeps me grounded. That's not to say I don't bring my thinking cap along. Just a knowledge that some people do everything right and it still goes wrong and vice versa.

MTR, Adele and Beanie Girl like this.
  13. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

That sounds a bit like Jedi to me.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi @BigKahuna i definetly agree there is an element of luck in investing. I'm not so sure though that it plays a 'large' part though. There are certain strategies and methods i have used over and over again and the results start to become predictable leading me to believe that while luck will always be a factor, there are definetly things we can do as investors to improve our success rates and at times dramatically. Just my opinion.

BigKahuna likes this.
  15. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Hi Leo, yes I agree.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

greed is not good..passion and ambition is good

LibGS likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What's 9 months between posts?
    ;)

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Whats one person's greed is another person's inspiration.

Much of society would think many on here are greedy and yet those same people probably think they are just getting started.

It's like telling an athlete don't be too greedy with your goals, third best is fantastic.

I like how a tree lives its life: always growing higher, becoming more powerful and majestic.

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2016
    Perthguy and Azazel like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a good analogy.
    Then you have the plants/vines that live off the tree and restrict the trees growth...

Perthguy, Blueskies and Sackie like this.