Greater Hobart Area Tas: Minimum lot sizes for subdivision

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MarkMan, 10th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MarkMan

MarkMan New Member

Me and my family are wanting to buy land to subdivide 3-4 times and build a small house on each section. It's been very difficult finding minimum lot sizes to compare to land sizes to tell me how many times I could subdivide it. Does anyone have this information or know where I can find it? I'd rather not have to call up every council...

2. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

Where in Hobart are you looking?

Here is the interim planning scheme for Hobart itself: https://iplan.tas.gov.au/pages/plan/book.aspx?exhibit=hobips

Other council areas may have slight differences, but I'm pretty sure it's fairly similar.

If you want to check the zoning of a property, head to LISTMap here: https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map?bookmarkId=137005
    I have enabled the planning scheme layer, which shows all the different zonings. On the upper R hand side of the screen, click on the layers tab and then open the planning scheme layer and it should show you a key for which colour = which zoning.

Hope that helps!

Patrico1966 likes this.
  3. MarkMan

MarkMan New Member

That's a very helpful reply, thank you! The map is fantastic.

I'm looking for anywhere in the Greater Hobart Area, say anywhere from Sandford to Claremont. I suspect ti will have to be quite rural.

The interim planning scheme isn't loading properly for me (each 'part' appears empty). Is it supposed to detail the rules around min/max plot sizes in each zone?

4. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

That's a bummer, as yes, it should show you a bunch of that information for each different zoning. Haven't found another way to access it previously, as we were only really looking within the HCC area. Would a change of browser help? I'm using Chrome, for what it's worth.

Best of luck :)