Travel & Holidays Great Barrier Reef - Holiday

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Brady, 25th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Hopeful that some locals or those who have travelled can pitch in for some ideas.

Looking to spend 4-7 days somewhere along the Great Barrier Reef with my partner.

We're 28 + 30 years old, no kids. Both like to be pretty active.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I went to Heron Island the December before last. It was great for three nights - a week would be too long.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Another vote for heron island.
    The new management have reversed the times which the boats come and go, therefore forcing you to stay an extra day (it use to be boat leaving Gladstone in the morning to heron island and heron to Gladstone in the afternoon).

It's a great place for diving and snorkeling. Food is crap though.

Brady likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I spend 4 days on a large charter yacht in the Whitsundays about 18 years ago. They took about 8 passengers, with a skipper and mate. Swimming, snorkelling, sailing, a great trip. You can do as much or as little as you like. They all run out of Airle Beach.

If you Scuba dive and have the budget, it's Minke whale season and both Mike Ball Expeditions and Spirit of Freedom in Cairns run 3, 4 & 7 day dive trips to Lizard Island and back. It gets you to the reef that you never see if you are land based. They do allow non divers, but that would be a waste and it's worth getting a diving ticket for (you can get that in 2 weekends).

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2018
    Brady likes this.
  5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Peter_Tersteeg I enjoy snorkelling, was recently in Cancun... went out on a booked day trip snorkelling, had to wear life jacket anytime in the water - didn't allow to see much from the top of the water :(

Have thought about getting into diving, my friends old man owns a commercial property which is 'dive shop' I believe they do training there - might be worth looking into getting my ticket.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Sick of the cold Brady? :)

I haven't been - but I've heard 1770 and Agnes Water are nice towns. Supposed to be a nice surf break if you're into it. Looks like there's plenty of hiking trails too - Agnes Water & Town of 1770 - Visitor Information

Cheers

Jamie

Sackie and Brady like this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Snorkelling is like looking at a pretty picture. Diving is like being a part of the picture. When I did my first scuba course, it cost $500, so probably still less than $1k. Make sure it's under either PADI or SSI.

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Peter_Tersteeg Yeah usually when I snorkel I'll dive down and be a lost closer and much more enjoyable.

@Jamie Moore haha not sure if it's that, I've only just got back from Vegas and Cancun... don't mind the cold.
    But it's the partners birthday in September, so looking to get away and wanted to see some more of Australia.

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

What sort of activities are you guys into?

Cheers

Jamie

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I would give most things a go, she's much the same...
    Would like to do some snorkelling, just rang up friend about getting scuba ticket.
    Be pretty cool to skydive over the water/beach somewhere.

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Cairns? Lots of other tourist things to do in the area too. Don't go to one of the islands. Go to the outer reef - so much better.

Expensive though. A day trip would be $150 - $400+ depending on what you include (eg scuba, helicopter ride etc) and what company you go with. With the big companies you can do a scuba dive without any prior experience. They brief you on the boat on the way out and provide close monitoring on the dive. They are very short, something like half an hour.

Brady likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Agnes and 1770 is a great spot! you could do heron and 1770. plus the industry tours of Gladstone and see the boom and bust machine at work ;)
    My brother in laws brother runs the shuttle bus at agnes and they do runs to Gladstone so you could possibly get away without a hire car

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

14. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I went on an outer reef day trip long-time ago.. . No scuba required, all the 'pretty things' live quite close to the surface. As long as you are a strong swimmer you should be able to manage.
    I was told then there is no where else in the world as good as this.
    Last year we tried to go in a super expensive 'Mike Ball diving ' week, doing open water tickets before hand, they wanted us to pay in full more than 4 months before... No Deposit.. er no thanks.
    Also look at Lizard Island.. next time...
    I'm sure I know someone with a private yacht$$$$ When the opportunity arises.! I hope this helps

Brady likes this.
  15. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

16. Depreciator

Silky Oaks is great.
    Brady, maybe split your time between Heron for the reef experience, and then Silky Oaks for the Daintree and coast.
    The reef in Queensland is off shore, being a barrier reef, so you need to get out to it by boat or stay on an island.
    When I went to Heron, I did one of the email reports I occasionally do for people back home and posted it here as well:

So we went to Heron Island last week.

Brady likes this.
  17. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Ended up with direct flight Adel > Cairns, picking up a rental car and driving up to Port Douglas.
    Staying 4 nights in a AirBnB property.
    Organised activities - Sunset Sail, Outer Barrier Reef Tour, Cape Tribulation & Daintree Tour

*** side note :) partner doesn't know about the trip, managed to get her work to book annual leave without her knowing. So will be waking her up at ~4-5AM telling her to pack her back... without telling her where we're going

158, Angel and TAJ like this.
  18. Depreciator

A trip to the outer reef can be a long day - often with vomiting tourists for company. My brother lives in Port D so I have been up there a few times. I go out on the Reef Sprinter from Port Douglas. It's an impossibly fast speedboat the whooshes a dozen people out to the closest reefs - Low Isles, I think - for a couple of hours and then whooshes back.

19. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The drive from Cairns to Port Douglas is pretty spectacular. Along the way is Rex lookout; if you are up for it you can do a tandem hang glide. Great views.
    Many dive operators run out of Port Douglas. Quiksilver being the largest, with a fleet of 4. If you are considering diving get on Silver Sonic which is a smaller vessel in the Quiksilver fleet.
    Many reefs to visit (Agincourt, Tongue, Bat) just to name a few.
    If staying in Port, don't forget to have a coldie at the Combines Club (the old tin shed to locals) down on Dickson Inlet. Great food at real prices! and you are right on the water.
    You can also go hot air ballooning up on the tablelands.
    Heaps to do in this beautiful part of Australia. September should be lovely and warm also.
    I am very familiar with this area as I have an IP just north of Port Douglas at Wonga Beach.

Enjoy your break away.

Brady likes this.
  20. Depreciator

Best restaurant (in my opinion) in Port is Salsa. You'll need to book, though.

TAJ likes this.