Granny flats law need to be change in Victoria

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Lindaqu, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

Petitioning The Hon. Richard Wynne MP, Minister for Planning
    Sign this petition to support us!!!

The Hon. Richard Wynne MP, Minister for Planning: Amend the Residential Planning rules to allow 60m2 permanent secondary dwellings to be built behind existing homes without planning approval and for use or rental by parties unrelated to the

Victoria has a housing crisis - our median house price is $706,000 and our median rent for a unit is $365 per week. We have 22,800 homeless people and 35,000 people on the public housing waiting list. Older people do not have enough options to downsize within their communities and kids can't afford to leave home. Our average new house is 241m2 - the largest in the world and yet our household sizes are shrinking. We are just not building enough small affordable homes in our middle suburbs because our planning rules make this type of development expensive and complicated. We need to change our rules for granny flats to match NSW, WA and ACT. In those States it is possible to build a small secondary permanent dwelling behind an existing home which can be used by dependents or rented out to unrelated parties - all without planning approval or requirements to subdivide. This helps to provide a diversity of accommodation in the suburbs where there is already infrastructure and services. It allows for relatively inexpensive small dwellings to be built which deliver affordable rental property to an increasingly unaffordable market. Its a smart, easy change to our rules that will support affordable housing choices.

Perthguy and larrylarry like this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Signed.

larrylarry likes this.
  3. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

Thanks for support us!

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

No worries, can't wait to catch a cheap flight to Mexico and line my pockets with dat positve cash goodness.

neK likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Linda - You sell GFs ? Homeless people cant afford to rent a GF either. LOL if the planning Minister changed rules by only allowing use by homeless. Thats not the aim is it ?

NSW doesnt have policy for this as a blanket rule either and last look has no plans to make it easier.

6. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

No,I'm not selling granny flats.I have a granny flat in my backyard,council only allow my mum to live there,and I should live in the main house either,we have some relatives live with us, they're not allow to live in the granny flat, and another problem is if I'm not live there, my mum is also not allow to live in her unit. The law is so tricky,make things very complicated.So I support to chang the law.

7. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

support us.

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Support withdrawn.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The law isn't so tricky. Its simple. Its easy to determine BEFORE you buy land. I dont want to live in a Soweto township.

10. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

29 Feb 2016 — Planning Minister Richard Wynne spoke at the MBAV conference last friday. He indicated that changes to planning rules for secondary dwellings was under consideration and that an announcement would be made soon.
    Please share the petition far and wide so that we can convince the Minster this is an important issue.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This post, asking for people to sign the petition, was put on the Home One forum too and it is sponsored by a builder of small houses. Full disclosure!

Despite the claims, none of the new infill housing in Melbourne's inner suburbs is that affordable That's because everyone wants to maximize their profit, naturally.

Also, unbridled development puts pressure on infrastructure - e.g. parking etc and can be detrimental to values and liveability.

If you really want to encourage affordable housing then lobby for a change that achieves that, not just for overpriced Granny Flats.

Allow people to build a GF and to be legally locked in to provide affordable housing for a period ( e.g with a housing association) in order to be approved for the GF build. NSW has such an Affordable Housing provision.

I would love to build a GF with this sort of set up and believe it would provide affordable housing for those who really need it.

Also, a single mum or retiree living behind a family may find friendship and social support more easily than if in a separate house. That would be a great thing!

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2016
  12. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

I doubt the state gubbment would approve it:
    • Council's rates remain the same even though the density doubles.
    • Stamp duty losses to state.
    • Loss of council's say in development.

13. Lindaqu

Lindaqu Member

14. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

It seems you have registered on the wrong forum. We're all about Phat Profitz here. Surely there is a leftard forum in some dark corner of the internet where you can share this view?

15. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

which council are you in?