Granny Flats - costs to build flat packs!

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by elbowz17, 11th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. elbowz17

elbowz17 Member

Hi All,

I've got an investment property that I wanted to throw a flat pack granny flat into (Western Sydney).

Although they seem cheap ($25k for a 60sqm 2-br pack), I was wondering if anyone has any idea what these things cost to put together (excluding piers or slabs).

Here's a link to what I'm looking at: 2 Bedroom Granny Flat DIY Kit - The Seascape 60 on Gal Chassis - CGI Wall Sheets | eBay

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Elbowz

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Don't know...but it's certainly going to be very boxy. Those bedrooms are tiny. and that laundry is beyond tiny . There is also no storage in the property. Anyone puts a wardrobe in those bedrooms and you wont be able to swing a cat. This will impact on how appealing they are to potential tenants. I do Dual Occ's with granny flats at 60M2 and we do 1 bedroom only... see below for an example. We considered 2 bedrooms but it would have ruined the concept, if I'm being completely honest. You have to accept either 2 tiny bedrooms with little or no storage , or a seriously compromised kitchen and living area if you want reasonable bedrooms

Where's the kitchen in the eBay product ? I see a space they have identified as "kitchen" but it doesn't have any carcasses ..I assume you have to install your own? And I assume that you also have to install your own services- plumbing, electrical, gas etc? What about flooring? Windows ? Blinds? Air? Lights? Gpo’s ? Fencing? Doors? Waterproofing and tiling for wet areas, etc... basically you have to do a full fit out in addition to the slab or piers or whatever structural base you use . Not sure how much money you'll save doing things that way...unless you are extremely handy

Screenshot 2019-09-11 16.59.07.png

Last edited: 12th Sep, 2019
    Curoch and elbowz17 like this.
  3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I've got a quote for erection on a 60m2 two bedroom kit on a concrete slab. The price includes:

Steel frame kit install including erecting walls, roofing/gutters and cladding
    Internal electrical install
    Plastering
    Internal plumbing
    Council infrastructure fee and certification fees (Logan city)
    Home owners warranty insurance
    Concrete slab
    Total Price $52,500 including GST

Does not include:
    Two bedroom steel kit ($19,100)
    Internal painting
    Supply and install kitchen
    Supply bathroom materials and install bathroom
    Blinds/Curtains
    Security Screens
    Air conditioning
    Flooring
    Wardrobes
    Light Fittings
    Fencing
    Landscaping
    Verandah if required
    Carport if required
    Driveway
    Plumbing access/connection to Granny flat
    Electrical supply to Granny flat (quoted $6000 to upgrade the electrical supply to the property and run/connect power)
    Water meter
    Electrical meter

Quoted mid 2019.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2019
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Does Logan allow granny flats to be rented out separately?

5. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Archaon likes this.