Granny flats and main house rent same time?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Aaron Duffie, 13th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Aaron Duffie

Aaron Duffie Well-Known Member

Wondering how common it is for both the main residence and granny flat to be rented at same time by different tenants? I would have thought the tenants in the main house would prefer not to have another tenant in the granny flat?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Then the tenants of the main house should rent the gf as well. Whats your point here?

3. Aaron Duffie

Yes that’s obviously an option but my question here is whether it is common for different tenants to rent granny flat and main residence

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Probably a lot more common than the same tenant renting both at the same time. For investors at least, I imagine that is the whole point of having a GF.

...did you think otherwise or?

5. Aaron Duffie

Thanks, i like the rental yield a GF might bring but I was asking as I wouldn’t want me and my family in a house with a stranger living in the back yard

6. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

You raise valid points.

Thats why i think granny flats only work on corners , rear lane access where its facing the other way or a private driveway access and fenced backyard.

There are so many popping up in newcastle where the front house is right there and then the gf entry is 3 m away no privacy at all. Or they have shared parking driveways , laundrys , backyards all sorts of stuff is happening.

You can get away with this stuff if the location is right but design is key.

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I think it’s common. I see it often on clients rental statements when they send in their supporting docs.

Cheers

Jamie

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Design is key.
    As long as privacy is done correctly it's not an issue

9. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Just make sure it is lawful to do so in same council area. Brisbane it is not.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Depends on the Council by-laws. In some areas it is illegal to rent a gf separate to the main house. Brisbane is particularly strict on this.
    Marg

11. lightbulbmoment

You guys in brisbane are getting ripped.
    Nsw you can outlay 120k and achieve up to 450 a week. Good return

SarahD likes this.
  12. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

I've managed a lot of these in the past and none of them had the same family in the house and granny flat. Just be really transparent in your advertising of the property so everyone is aware of the set up and then when they inspect and apply you know they are very genuine as they have all the information.

13. lightbulbmoment

What are your tips on providing a great Granny flat rental from a PMs view?

14. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

A lot as others have said - separate entrance / privacy. I've seen this done with some tall fences creating a separate private yard for the granny flat. Make sure it is self contained the best example of this was a property that had its own shed for storage, allocated parking spot at the front of the property (as the garage was for the house), it's own yard and separate entrance. The house and granny flat tenants wouldn't see each other unless they were trying really hard! Make sure there is a clothesline for the granny flat's use only (you'd be surprised how often this is overlooked but a small wall mounted one would be ample). I then provided all tenants at the beginning of the lease (for house and granny flat) a few additional pieces of paper in their sign up pack clearly showing the parking allocations etc. etc. Make sure council know so that then you can have a garbage bin for both the house and the granny flat (this always comes up!) and if you aren't installing a separate water meter for the granny flat make sure your rent covers your water usage :).

If you can do it right, you'll end up with two very private properties for rent and tenants who get along well like good neighbours.