NSW Granny flat without Occupation Certificate

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jessi, 18th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Interested in a house with a detached granny flat in the back. Seller does not have a Occupation Certificate for the granny. There are two electrical meters. House number is 1, rather than 1 & 1a. No dividing fence in the backyard. Also granny quality seems quite low.

I searched council website by the address. Does this mean it is approved as Dual-occupancy ? Also in the document next to builder section, it has 'owner'. Does this mean it is build by the owner ? If build by a proper granny flat company, wouldn't the GF company normally obtain OC after build ?

Will I be having trouble getting an OC myself ?

upload_2021-8-18_17-21-35.png
    upload_2021-8-18_17-34-12.png

2. celsioraus

celsioraus Well-Known Member

What happens if you buy it and its rented out for the next 20 years without ever having a problem?
    What happens if there is a prick of a neighbour and it gets flagged instantly?
    there is no right answer just gambling your way through life.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Speak to Council & find out what the deal is. If it doesn't have an occupancy certificate, a Private Certifier may be able to help.

4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Does it actually not have a OC is the seller unable to provide one. Being over 7 years old its not that common to not have OC on hand.

Council should have it on file considering its not that old - speak to them