Granny Flat Through Council (DA)

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by filipe, 14th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. filipe

filipe Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone can comment on the risk of this potential purchase/project in relation to being able to get a DA to build a secondary dwelling (granny flat).

• Block is 550m2
    • Width/Frontage is 14m
    • Sewerage easement right through the middle of the backyard
    • No drainage easement and block slopes to the rear
    • Block suffers from overland flooding (15% of the site, up to about 10cm depth 1:100 years), identified on council's flood maps.
    What are the chances the council will approve a DA to build a GF? The council DCP/LEP has no specific GF items, the council reverts to the SEPP. This is in Strathfield, NSW council. I am concerned they may carry on about not being happy with the dispersion pit and wanting it to be larger and I've ran out of room.

I am trying to weigh up whether it is likely to get DA approval (it won't through the SEPP), or whether I risk buying and being stuck with a property I can't unlock to build a GF. Further up the street, large duplexes, underground wine cellars etc have all been approved, also suffering from the same attributes. Is that a good indication?

How much extra will a DA process of GF cost vs SEPP? At least S94= $10,000, artictect drawings, etc. Will neighbours get to object? Is a DA granny flat to be avoided at all costs??

2. Brazen

Brazen Member

It's probably doable (no guarantees with a DA) but the compliance costs might make a granny flat unattractive.

Duplexes worth a million or more can 'absorb' an extra $100,000 or more for Drainage (Easement costs) but a $100k granny flat might not be worth it on that block, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps ask someone qualified to have a closer look at your options for Stormwater Drainage and see if there is an Easement adjacent.

Strathfield Councils policy generally requires an Easement be sought from downstream neighbours. This is usually a huge cost but as I said, for duplexes (property needs to be wider than 14 mtrs I think) it is worth it.

Not for a granny flat usually though.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this. Really unattractive to overcome these hurdles. As buyers agents we spend a looooooong time finding properties that tick all the boxes for a PC approval thereby avoiding DAs and council.

4. filipe

filipe Well-Known Member

Completely agree, the DA is not a good option for granny flat, as you have to pay council all these extra fees (DA lodgement costs, extra reports/detailed drawings), plus the s94 contributions are $10,000! Looking at a premium cost of maybe 15% extra for going through a DA vs a CDC from my research...

Observer likes this.
  5. Brazen

Brazen Member