Granny flat side access

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by DadWealth, 1st Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DadWealth

DadWealth Active Member

Hi All, considering a granny flat on a property. I would have to section off the fence side of the driveway to allow the granny flat tenants to access the back yard where the flat would be.

What are people’s thoughts on minimum and ideal widths for a walking access?

Bonus points if anybody has minimums and ideal widths for the driveway and carport!

Thank you!

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

4m

3. DadWealth

DadWealth Active Member

Thank you! I wish the site supported it. I think it’s going to be 1.4-1.5m wide, any greater and I’d have to remove driveway and carport access for the main house which I feel would reduce the utility there = bad.

Obviously not ideal, I’m happy at least the flat out the back should be a nicer finished product as the backyard slopes side to side. This means I can orient the flat towards the downhill, giving it a view flats in flat backyards don’t have. With a deck I’m hoping it will come up desirable above other flats in the area.

Any other flat recommendations or threads you think I should read appreciated!

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Well maybe give consideration to wheelchair or mobility scooter ( or even motorcycle). Target that as a 'plus'.

1.5 very narrow. I can get my scooter thru but 2m is better

5. propinvest888

propinvest888 Active Member

Might worth not to fence the driveway. Just leave it as it is? Best if you can share us a siteplan

6. DadWealth

DadWealth Active Member

Good call, dug my notes up from ages ago. See attached. There is now a carport attached to the house coming 3.4m out. See the latest street-view screenshot. Car door opening under the carport is going to hurt if I fence off a walkway, I just think it's better doing it that side rather than the other side of the house where granny flat tenants would be walking past the bedroom windows.

Attached Files:

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In WA a pedestrian leg to a rear block (so similar situation) the desired width is 1.5m but can be reduced to 1m if it's around an existing house and the house is staying

Do you have to fence the walkway? In our scenario above we fence as the pedestrian access leg will legally be on title for a subdivided block but if it's just a walkway to get to a granny flat (all on one title then I would leave open until you get to their private area then fence

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just remember that the access width will have to allow for furniture delivery and removal for tenants.

Can you relocate the carport to allow for access via a shared driveway?

9. propinvest888

propinvest888 Active Member

I feel the existing driveway is too narrow for it to be fenced. You can go with Option B depending how easy is that side access is and if there any privacy issues i.e. main house windows. I don't think you need fence on either option A and option B for the front. Just make sure the backyard fence is proper that would be my take. Either way you can achieve the footpath from landscaping i.e. concrete, stepping stones etc

10. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

Option B is fine if there's street parking. I've seen many similar.