Granny flat / second dwelling - VIC

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by housechopper2, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience / advice regarding adding a small second dwelling to a site in Vic without subdividing (to increase yield)?

I understand granny flats are not legal without a permit saying it will be dismantled after granny goes; but there must be some way to do this as I have seen properties for sale like this in the past.

i have a site that has a house in the front with a large rear yard area backing on to a lane way. It is well suited to adding a small single level dwelling - I would like to try doing this without a subdivision/ town planning application.

Advice appreciated.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a permit requiring demolition later on. I have heard of GFs not being able to be rented separately however...

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I have. Stated very clearly in the section 32 in a document entitled "Plan of Removal/Variation of Restriction" which was a variation of text to the covenant over the title.

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

you can't unless it is for a dependant and esp if you are not living there you will it find it hard to comply with the council regs.

You could do an extra bungalow say 2 rooms with a bathroom (but without kitchen) and not classify it as a granny flat. There are a lot of ppl who do this however if you are looking to rent it separately to 2 separate parties, that would be hard and also insurance would not necessarily cover you. If found out, you could face fines etc. It would be better to have that extra bungalow (and then rent it out to one single group ) say a bunch of students 5 rooms or a family with teenage kids or older parent living together.

5. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your help.